Print Spooler Service won't stay running - Windows 11

Anonymous
2022-03-05T17:11:52+00:00

Is there a fix for the Windows 11 Print Spooler Service that I can't get to run? It was working fine until last Tuesday - then no printing. I've removed the printers, uninstalled/reinstalled the software, updated everything. Gone through the suggested steps but problem isn't resolved. I keep getting the following: "The local print spooler is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine." I get this whether I try to print or run print properties.

I can print to the printer(s) from a Windows 10 machine (laptop) with no problems so I don't think it's the printer(s) (Canon Pro-300 and HP Office Jet).

In the control panel there is an Inkjet Printer that I cannot remove - says it's a Canon inkjet printer with Driver unavailable (I found a driver listed at one time - C:\Windows|system\32\drivers\ksthunk.sys). How can I remove this device?

Any suggestions before I start over.

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-05-09T12:50:38+00:00

    I have the am having issue, I've tried all the suggestions above the all the printers keep coming back and my printer spooler continues to crash with error code 7034 The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-23T16:58:21+00:00

    Hello - I updated the system prior to the issue happening. Since I couldn't fix the issue, I reinstalled WIndows and the apps. It works fine now. Thanks for your responses and help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-24T01:45:15+00:00

    Good day! ChipDonahue,

    Glad to learn that your problem has been resolved. And do get back to us for any problems pertaining to in the future. We will be happy to assist you.

    Best Regards,

    Lynn Sun | Microsoft Community Support Specialist


    * Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

    * Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-05-11T17:30:48+00:00

    Can I check something?

    We're having the problem with a new Canon printer.

    Have other cases also been Canon, or have people had problems with other makes of printer?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-03-23T03:36:48+00:00

    Hi ChipDonahue,

    Thanks for your update.

    To better assist you with the issue, have you made changes to your computer recently, such as updating the system?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments