Windows 10 will not update anymore; stuck in 1909

Anonymous
2021-05-17T01:54:45+00:00

TLDR: Update page shows "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." for the last one week. It is still in Version 1909 Build 18363.1556.

Long story: It has been promising Feature update 2004 for quite a long time but did not really deliver. However, I had been getting regular security and quality minor updates. Around a month ago, when I started getting the end of service notifications for 1909 I tried to force updates by hitting "Check for updates" and it tried doing a huge download for 20H2. I think after a long installation process it aborted around 45% and rolled back. Tried a couple of times and the same result.

Now, I did a few methods suggested in various forums and Microsoft support sites like running update troubleshooter, a scan, running commands as administrator, setting right a few registry entries etc. I even rolled the last cumulative update for 1909 KB5003169 and it got reinstalled on the next reboot but the "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." returned.

I am worried because I will be missing out important security updates given that 1909 has reached the end of service.

UPDATE: The error code against the update 20H2 update is given as 0xC1900101

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-19T03:04:17+00:00

    Good Day Curious_userCA,

    Proceed with the Repair upgrade, keep us posted with the results, if you have any question reach out to us here in the community anytime.

    Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

    Sincerely,

    Carlo T.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-19T03:02:24+00:00

    After running the script from tenforums I tried running the updates. It was the same result, downloaded, installed, restarted, blue screen with progress percentage and shuts down at around 45%. Restarting it shows "Trying to recover installation" and then "Undoing changes made...". No difference.

    Looks like Repair upgrade is the only option left.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-18T16:53:29+00:00

    Good Day Curious_userCA,

    You can download the tool using the link I posted in my first response to reset the Windows Update components , here's the link below.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset...

    After following those steps, restart your computer and try to install updates.

    If the issue persists, you can perform Repair Upgrade , this will reinstall Windows without affecting your files and applications, it will repair and replace damaged system files. This will also update your computer to the latest version of Windows.

    Step 1: Download the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

    Click "Download Tool Now"

    Step 2: Run MediaCreationTool.exe.

    Step 3: Select "Upgrade this computer now".

    Step 4: Select "Keep personal files and applications".

    Step 5: Let it install

    Hope the above information helps. Please let me know how it goes.

    Have a nice day ahead and stay safe.

    Sincerely,

    Carlo T.


    Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-18T16:35:16+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-18T16:24:23+00:00

    Good Day Curious_userCA,

    I appreciate your time getting back to this thread, If you already tried that steps , proceed with the next troubleshooting steps which is Resetting the Windows Update Components.

    Keep me posted with the results. Have a wonderful day ahead and stay safe.

    Sincerely,

    Carlo T.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments