Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10?

Anonymous
2020-07-29T20:46:34+00:00

Please help me with the microphone mute on/off button on headset not working --> I cannot mute my voice.

Here's the good news:

  1. On Windows the Headset and Microphone audio is clear via Bluetooth. I can hear them, they can hear me.

2. Microphone/audio with Android phone tested good -- microphone mute on/off button works -- I can mute my voice with single press of the button if paired with the Android phone.  It doesn't matter what app I use.  I get an audio prompt through the headset of mute on/mute off.

Here's the problem: the mute button on this Bluetooth Headset microphone doesn't work on Windows 10, so if I walk away from the laptop and need to mute/unmute, I have to run back to my laptop to use my mouse. 

I called Taotronics technical support -- they said if the latest drivers are installed there's nothing more they can offer to help.

Windows indicates the best drivers are installed, but they are either outdated, Windows 10 does not support all the capability, or I need to do something.

Here's what I have:

Hardware:                 HP ProBook

                                 Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)

                                 Headset TaoTronics TT-BH041 

Operating System:   Windows 10, version 1909

Headset Device Drivers:

   TaoTronics TT-BH041                                           - Driver 10.0.17134.1067   Driver Date: 6/21/2006

   TaoTronics TT-BH041 Avcrp Transport Adapter  - Driver 10.0.17134.1         Driver Date: 4/10/2018

   Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)                              - Driver 21.70.0.3               Driver Date: 12/30/2019

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-12-06T19:52:18+00:00

    Please share this important feedback with Microsoft using the Feedback Hub app in the Start Menu where developers are tasked to process consumer feedback.

    But Microsoft will not even see it here because this is a tech forums where we are mostly volunteers trying to help solve your problems.

    While it may appear so, Feedback Hub is NOT a dead-end even though they will not reply unless they need logs or other information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-10-28T07:40:57+00:00

    Yes, I know this trick. But in mac OS, at least 10.11 El Captain the mute/unmute works without any stations connected to usb. Just wirelessly via standart bluetooth. That means this is possible to do via bluetooth standart only, without any special usb connected dongles, stations and even without any special installed drivers. Just magic! Why microsoft can't do the same? I'm sure this is the problem with standart microsoft bluettoth stack drivers. They just don't want to refactor this old peace of ... which is inherited from old Win98 or something.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-10-27T20:44:34+00:00

    I was able to successfully use the Plantronics Savi 7xx headset with base station. The Plantronics base station uses a USB cable to the Windows 10 laptop (HP) and a Plantronics base station to charge and connect the wireless headset (it uses bluetooth to the base). That said, it does have some idiosyncrasies with staying connected -- but the mute/unmute from the device does work.

    The Plantronics device is older technology and is expensive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments