Can you help with microphone mute on/off button not working on Windows 10?

Anonymous
2020-07-29T20:46:34+00:00

Please help me with the microphone mute on/off button on headset not working --> I cannot mute my voice.

Here's the good news:

  1. On Windows the Headset and Microphone audio is clear via Bluetooth. I can hear them, they can hear me.

2. Microphone/audio with Android phone tested good -- microphone mute on/off button works -- I can mute my voice with single press of the button if paired with the Android phone.  It doesn't matter what app I use.  I get an audio prompt through the headset of mute on/mute off.

Here's the problem: the mute button on this Bluetooth Headset microphone doesn't work on Windows 10, so if I walk away from the laptop and need to mute/unmute, I have to run back to my laptop to use my mouse. 

I called Taotronics technical support -- they said if the latest drivers are installed there's nothing more they can offer to help.

Windows indicates the best drivers are installed, but they are either outdated, Windows 10 does not support all the capability, or I need to do something.

Here's what I have:

Hardware:                 HP ProBook

                                 Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)

                                 Headset TaoTronics TT-BH041 

Operating System:   Windows 10, version 1909

Headset Device Drivers:

   TaoTronics TT-BH041                                           - Driver 10.0.17134.1067   Driver Date: 6/21/2006

   TaoTronics TT-BH041 Avcrp Transport Adapter  - Driver 10.0.17134.1         Driver Date: 4/10/2018

   Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)                              - Driver 21.70.0.3               Driver Date: 12/30/2019

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-10T15:48:56+00:00

    I just turned the headset off and back on and it reactivated the mute button. Hope that helps

    Hello Msprecious, thanks for your post. Please expand on your comment about power on/off. Please provide:

    1. The make/model headset are you using
    2. Connected via Bluetooth or hardwired?
    3. The Version of Windows OS are you on?
    4. The Bluetooth device driver installed? to get this info: Type "Device Manager" in the start/search windows prompt, click it, expand "audio inputs and outputs" , right click properties for the driver, click on the driver tab. You should see Driver Provider: Driver Date: Driver Version

    The only wireless bluetooth headset so far that I've had success with remote mute on/off is the Plantronics Savi 7xx using the Microsoft Plantronics driver Date: 3/18/2019 Version 10.0.18362.1. This is an expensive headset but lacks features of the newer TaoTronics headsets.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-10T14:30:31+00:00

    I just turned the headset off and back on and it reactivated the mute button. Hope that helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-09-02T10:19:20+00:00

    For moderation purposes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-05T21:00:43+00:00

    Gentlemen I have the same issue and it started when I upgraded to 20H0 before it was working. I was told that if I use the USB dongle that is supplied it should work. so the upgrade changed something.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-05-02T23:12:15+00:00

    I'm having the exact same issue.  I tried installing a DG80 Avantree Bluetooth to USB converter and this does NOT get around the problem either with my bluetooth headset Comexion A8 (with mute button).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments