In settings/about page, you can click "insider preview" aka the next update.
In my understanding, OneDrive will update to the next build, and it solved it for me.
I was in exactly the same situation.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I changed my OneDrive local file store location last week. Then I found I'm unable to uncheck "File On-Demand" option for OneDrive for business account. When I click that option, a warning message pops-up. When I click "OK", there is no change for this setting. Intetesting thing is, I can change the same setting for my personal OneDrive account, also able to change business OneDrive settings on another machine. Wondering if there is a setting to change or I have to reinstall/ reset OneDrive?
Thank you
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
In settings/about page, you can click "insider preview" aka the next update.
In my understanding, OneDrive will update to the next build, and it solved it for me.
I was in exactly the same situation.
Thank you all for the replies about this thread.
I think I found a workaround about it although the root cause is still unknown.
The workaround is to add a DWORD item "FilesOnDemandEnabled" under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\OneDrive
and set its value to 0
This is based on this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/use-group-policy#use-onedrive-files-on-demand
After reboot, the "Files On-Demand"option on OneDrive setting dialog box will be gone and it will work as if there is no such a thing, which is to download all files to local drive.
Of course we can turn it back by setting above registry value to 1.
Hope it helps
[Edit] this method seems only works for business account but not personal account. At least on my case.
Same problem. I'm trying to disable files on demand in OneDrive to see my thumbnails again, but the option re-checks itself after a pop-up informing me that "files will be stored on the device now". I looked all over the internet for a solution - no luck.
Oh and the registry key option doesn't work for me either.
I had the same problem this morning on a personal account. Like you it re-checks itself!
My workaround was to go to the actual OneDrive folders on the PC, right click and then select 'always keep on this device' in the menu.
The status icon should then change from a cloud to a white tick in a green circle - once it's downloaded.
Granted it's not an elegant solution, but it worked for me.
You can install version 20.114.0607.0001 to resolve this issue without having to enable Insider preview.
Thanks, Shan, for sharing this solution. It worked for me. I first had to create the "OneDrive" Folder (New --> Key) in the registry. My registry now looks like this:
This removes the files-on-demand feature from all OneDrive for business instances (I have multiple OneDrive for business accounts). This works for me.
However, has anybody an idea if and how this feature could be disabled for a specific OneDrive for business account only?
Thanks, Marco