Unable to install 2024-01 Cumulative Updates for Windows 11

Anonymous
2024-01-14T16:59:03+00:00

I've tried the Windows Troubleshooter, and I disabled Malwarebytes (I primarily use Windows Defender, so I didn't need it running as well), and I've tried restarting a couple times.

But the following two updates refuse to install, and I keep receiving error code 0x80070020 for:

  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
  • 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5033920)

What do I need to do, to get these updates to install?

I'm running Windows 11 Home (version 22H2).

Not sure if it's extraneous info but my processor is a 12th Gen Intel i7, with 32GB of RAM.

Many thanks,

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-18T21:17:59+00:00

    maybe they're doing rolling updates..

    finally, i got a successful update. instead of KB5034123 it installed

    * 2024-01 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034204)

    * 2024-01 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034204)

    though, they still need to work to do for those who joined insider prog:

    this now fails:

    Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22635.3209 (ni_release)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-03T18:11:39+00:00

    I am having the same issue on my Dell Inspiron 15 5510 running Windows 11 version 22H2 (OS Build 22621.3007), when trying to install:
    2024-01 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034204)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T19:48:50+00:00

    I have tried few solutions from other microsoft forums but i ended up with windows update tab is completely broken and just loading forever

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T00:08:45+00:00

    It downloads, it fails, it downloads, it fails,downloads, it fails adnauseum

    I guess Microsoft are asking us to turn off updates?

    What a p*ss poor outfit are Microsoft becoming?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-01T18:32:19+00:00

    indeed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments