Same problem here....very frustrating
Unable to install 2024-01 Cumulative Updates for Windows 11
I've tried the Windows Troubleshooter, and I disabled Malwarebytes (I primarily use Windows Defender, so I didn't need it running as well), and I've tried restarting a couple times.
But the following two updates refuse to install, and I keep receiving error code 0x80070020 for:
- 2024-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5034123)
- 2024-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5033920)
What do I need to do, to get these updates to install?
I'm running Windows 11 Home (version 22H2).
Not sure if it's extraneous info but my processor is a 12th Gen Intel i7, with 32GB of RAM.
Many thanks,
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2024-01-16T06:01:23+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-02-09T23:25:56+00:00 I wonder how much download bandwidth worldwide is wasted with this failure?
Surely there is someone at Microsoft that this can be reported to, and actioned?
How do we do that?
-
Anonymous
2024-01-19T02:38:03+00:00 Did this too. Still didnt work. Tried through Windows Update and by downloading the update file from Microsoft as well. All failed.
Sometimes in Windows Update it fails from DOWNLOAD ERROR, and sometimes it downloads but the install fails.
MS Lives support walked me through the in-place upgrade and that failed. Had the same issue when trying to install update from 22h to 23h. Ultimately had to do a clean install, so this is the clean install and only a month out I'm having this issue again. My work locks me out of my emails if I'm not fully updated. This is a nightmare with no end.
-
Anonymous
2024-01-18T20:48:39+00:00 I have the same issue also; I think Microsoft had their Head up their butt again.
-
Anonymous
2024-01-16T23:40:39+00:00 Hello: Did you have to roll back any updates before you did this install. What I am finding is that in Update History it states that those two updates were installed successfully. But then when I check for updates Windows Update says that those updates need to be installed. I dont get how that makes any sense at all. If anyone has any insight to how Update History could claim that the updates were installed successfully , while currently required updates says they need to be installed , makes any sense I would like to know.