Windows 10 Update 1903 renames User fiolder

Anonymous
2019-06-15T18:14:21+00:00

After updating Windows 10 with Feature Update 1903

Users/User is renamed Users/User.000

and a new folder Users/User created with just a handful of files in it

So, for example, backup settings for Money are wrong.

How can this be fixed?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-19T22:41:03+00:00

    For me the reason was having remains of a previous installation of Norton Power Eraser (NPE) ...

    This debug was enabled by NPE though a registry key. I disabled the debug output by deleting the "NPETraceSession" registry key and all sub keys at:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\NPETraceSession]

    Thank you for posting this additional info. If I had known about the reg key location last year, I could have deleted the WMZuneComm ETL process holding my user directory hostage. I eventually resigned and let Windows create the user.000 folder however, even after the upgrade WMZuneComm was still creating the logs in the old user directory. After your ppost I was able to find an entry in the registry location you provided and delete it permanently. Good riddance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-11-07T20:21:24+00:00

    I noticed that Zune may be my problem as well.  I'll try uninstalling Zune and see how it goes. Thanks for confirming.

    Hi Shannon,

    It wasn't that easy for me (is it ever with MS?)

    I first uninstalled ZUNE, and then (if you haven't rolled back yet) tried to delete the Zune files from my old profile.

    (sorry this is from memory, some months ago now, but trying to help you through it.)

    Then had to Google for how to delete those pesky files that ZUNE had left.  Found solution (not just right-click and delete!).

    Once I'd done that, I was able to RollBack successfully.

    And then update successfully.

    Sorry if this is a bit vague, and might be in the wrong order, but if MS won't help we have to try to help each other.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-07T15:50:23+00:00

    I noticed that Zune may be my problem as well.  I'll try uninstalling Zune and see how it goes. Thanks for confirming.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-10-09T01:59:16+00:00

    I could not do This because it has been more than 10 days since the update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-10-06T20:41:03+00:00

    Same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments