Windows 10 Update 1903 renames User fiolder

Anonymous
2019-06-15T18:14:21+00:00

After updating Windows 10 with Feature Update 1903

Users/User is renamed Users/User.000

and a new folder Users/User created with just a handful of files in it

So, for example, backup settings for Money are wrong.

How can this be fixed?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-27T11:48:41+00:00

    Similar problem as the original poster about Windows 10 1903 creating a User.000 folder.  My Win10 system was upgraded from Win 7 so there were older applications which may have contributed to the issue. In particular the files that were leftover in the original profile directory were from: Zune, Windows Ink (InputPersonalization), and Plex.  To resolve that I uninstalled Zune, renamed C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Ink folder to "Ink-bak", and stopped Plex from starting on boot.  After deleting C:\Users and rebooting, there were no new files created in that folder.

    At this point there are two options:

    1. Leave everything as-is, and applications that store the original path C:\Users\User won't know about the changed path, so fix each one individually as discovered, e.g. Outlook, OneDrive, Google Drive, ...
    2. Rename the Users.000 folder to Users, then the applications will be OK, but there will be lots of broken shortcuts and other references since Windows has stored them in the registry (as @RobK3 pointed out)

    Rebooting the machine several times hasn't coaxed Windows into resuming the process of moving User.000 to User and fixing all the registry entries. I'm planning on doing step 2 but one more step is needs i.e. write a script to find and replace registry entries from Users.000 to Users so that everything is buttoned up nicely...anyone have a script for that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-25T17:55:47+00:00

    You said you had another computer with a good profile? A tool like Transwiz to copy your good profile to the other computer might work for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-25T14:54:44+00:00

    I have signed in / rebooted many times since this came about. It's a nice idea that it would fix itself but it hasn't happened yet...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-24T23:41:46+00:00

    Try signing on again. When this first happened, I saw some of the MS reps were saying restarting and signing on again (maybe a few times) is supposed to be able to fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-08-24T23:04:00+00:00

    On my desktop, I have created a local account with admin rights. You're right Bob, that's all that was left in there and I've deleted them. That's where I'm at. Not sure whether to try and copy everything back to the original profile or remove the .000. I'm guessing neither will *fix* things without registry editing from the reading I've been doing. 

    No, I can't roll back because I deleted the old files as I habitually do to clean things up. Guess I'll be leaving them a bit longer from here on out... 

    On my Surface I hadn't done that. I was able to roll back, uninstall Zune and use the upgrade assistant to install 1903 again (as it was no longer showing up in updates). That's what I'm typing on now. Outlook, OneDrive, etc. have all been acting normal on this system. Now I just need to figure out my desktop. What a time suck. 

    I haven't thought of reaching out to MS. I'm not sure where my trust level is with them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments