Updated to 1903 but 'user'.000 now created and holds all my user files

Anonymous
2019-07-06T13:04:34+00:00

Hi, as per the title. All my pre-update User files are now in a folder with ".000" added to the name. I've already run into problems with programs using the non .000 path e.g. Dropbox. Is there an easy fix for this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-11-27T23:35:48+00:00

    I have now had exactly the same problem with two computers and in both cases have had to roll back from 1903 to the previous version. I stupidly assumed that, since the first time this happened was months ago on a different computer, that Microsoft would have fixed the bug.

    (To explain: the update created a new user with .000 at the end and put everything from the proper user's folder there. The result was that Outlook did not work (because it was looking in the wrong place for the .pst file) and it couldn't access Onedrive. I did not stop to find other lost functionality before rolling back.)

    I am not a superuser and don't want a "try this, it might work" kind of solution. I want Microsoft to fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-10-06T17:33:27+00:00

    As DaveM121 (replier to my original posts, an independent adviser) stated: this is a "mess created by Windows Updates". The update process is very clearly not pre-checking or post-checking systems effectively. When the update fails, MS themselves, are offering no automatic solution to rectify this - why on earth should users in this thread and elsewhere be forced to find possible solutions themselves?

    If a Windows Update breaks your system - as it clearly can with this update - I'd strongly suggest that no court in any land would define this as 'reasonable behaviour', despite what MS small print might say, lurking underneath. Would be interesting to see what a panel of judges would make of this...perhaps the same 11 Judges in the recent, and very interesting, UK Supreme Court prorogation case might get involved!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-08-16T18:38:41+00:00

    Appreciate the update and well done on problem solving your own issue!

    For me, I'll be re-installing Windows 10 from scratch on a new motherboard once I move over to Zen2 in a few months.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-16T17:10:57+00:00

    Hi,  there are two similar threads about this.  Have you seen the other one? 'Windows 10 Update 1903 renames User fiolder'.   Yes fiolder with an 'i'.

    Two of us have now pinned it down to ZUNE files and folders which the update cannot delete from the active profile . . . .   Nightmare to sort, but I have, and the upgrade worked without a hitch.

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-08-08T20:26:01+00:00

    Glad your roll back worked but pretty disgusted that paid MS employees have shown themselves to be utterly devoid of any competence , and lying through their teeth - the user.000 profile has never been defined in any capacity as a standard profile (though, this is more a reflection on MS of course since the scripts used in your phone calls are generated higher up).

    If you have any imaging backup software (Acronis/Norton/etc) then it might be an idea to take a C: image too before you try the update again. I don't know about yourself but the install of 1903 on my machine took 4-5 hours! Good luck though, hopefully you get there painlessly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments