Updated to 1903 but 'user'.000 now created and holds all my user files

Anonymous
2019-07-06T13:04:34+00:00

Hi, as per the title. All my pre-update User files are now in a folder with ".000" added to the name. I've already run into problems with programs using the non .000 path e.g. Dropbox. Is there an easy fix for this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-02-13T17:04:33+00:00

    The short answer is just undo the update, ie revert to the previous version of Windows. I have done it with success.

    The problem with this approach (and there's a time limit for roll-back) is that MS Update will still insist you install 1903 (or newer equivalent) - or any other MS-deemed critical component, and, you can only defer for so long and that's providing your Windows version allows update deferral in the first place.

    No, MS need to fix this properly and not employ the very poor install response, leading to what we see here and elsewhere, time and time again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-02-13T14:58:37+00:00

    The short answer is just undo the update, ie revert to the previous version of Windows. I have done it with success.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-19T10:38:04+00:00

    Same here. I've rolled back a couple of times now, on two computers, using drive images from external backup. When I talk to MS support, they seem never to have heard of this problem.

    I too have wondered about the mention of Zune files causing a problem. I have Zune software installed (and use it, for my Zune), but on my computer the Zune files don't show up under AppData.

    I found that the MS roll back facility provided under 'Settings/Update and Security/Recovery/Go back to previous Version of Windows' worked fine for me, rather than using my backups.  What I did before backing up was looked in my old user profile (without the 000) to find the files which were causing the update to fail, and in my case they were ZUNE files.  They were not easy to delete and I failed to keep a log of what I did, but I remember googling 'how to remove ZUNE files' . . . I seem to remember that they kept on popping back up every time I deleted them, and I had to stop some service(s).

    So I then rolled back, deleted the ZUNE files from my profile, then installed the update successfully.  I don't use ZUNE now, so was happy to delete the files.  You may need to restore them from backup if you follow my procedure?

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-19T09:54:39+00:00

    Same here. I've rolled back a couple of times now, on two computers, using drive images from external backup. When I talk to MS support, they seem never to have heard of this problem.

    I too have wondered about the mention of Zune files causing a problem. I have Zune software installed (and use it, for my Zune), but on my computer the Zune files don't show up under AppData.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-12-10T15:11:34+00:00

    I have the same issue. Someone commented that Zune caused the problem but didn't give detailed information on how they rectified the problem. I think Zune also caused my problem. I left my files in the ,000 profile. I had to create a new profile for Outlook and reconfigure my multiple email accounts and .pst files. Not an easy task. One Drive needed to be reconfigured. Quicken couldn't find data file. Other than that the upgrade went beautifully. I have decided to continue using the system with my files in the .000 profile.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments