Updated to 1903 but 'user'.000 now created and holds all my user files

Anonymous
2019-07-06T13:04:34+00:00

Hi, as per the title. All my pre-update User files are now in a folder with ".000" added to the name. I've already run into problems with programs using the non .000 path e.g. Dropbox. Is there an easy fix for this?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-19T16:15:29+00:00

    I have this same problem.  Not sure that it's specific to 1903, when googling the problem I've seen it happen to other people after upgrading to 1703 and 1803 (I think).

    I've tried rebooting numerous times as DaveM121 suggested with no luck.  I also did a system restore to the restore point before the 1903 upgrade, also with no luck.

    I've been using my laptop for a few weeks since this happened.  Except for being weird, I'm not actually having any problems with all of my user files being in the Rick.000 folder, except for the shortcuts in my Quick access list not working because they were still pointing to my old user files.  No problems with opening Recent files in Word or Excel, or any other problems I can think of.  So unless someone can come up with a solution soon that actually works, I think I'll just leave things as they are and update my shortcuts.  And hope that it doesn't happen again after the next upgrade.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-08T20:02:58+00:00

    Thanks ArchStant,  After nearly an hour and half on the phone to Microsoft, who first tried to convince me that the Outlook problem I had was not to do with the upgrade, and said that the user.000 was the profile I was using, and I should continue to use it . . . then passed me over to a MS Office specialist who showed me how to create a new Outlook profile etc . . .  .

    I bit the bullet and rolled back.  As you said, perfectly simple and reasonably quick, and Outlook was just back to how I remembered.

    They were both puzzled by the fact that my Documents and Pictures etc were not in the profile (which is on an SSD drive), but on my big HD (D:).

    I'm still half convinced that the user.000 folder should NOT have been there after the upgrade, as it should be a temp folder while the upgrade progesses, I thought??

    I am tempted to try the upgrade once more, after a clean restart or two, sometimes I have found that an upgrade fails, but then will work later . . . And I'm now confident that if it doesn't work a second time, I can rollback.  If it works I'll post here.

    Thanks for your help on this forum.  Strange that the community often finds solutions which MS seem quite oblivious to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-07-07T17:34:55+00:00

    I created a new account as you said above, copied all my old user files (in the ".000" folder as above) into this new account, and well...not too good

    I've had my PC running in this configuration for about 3 years and installed quite a number of programs, including all applicable updates, over that time. I guess you'd call me an advanced user, having been in this game for many years, and using my PC for non-professional audio production, video editing etc. With this, many of my programs have been specifically configured with various paths - that took months/years to fine-tune!! Before the 1903 update a couple of days ago, my PC was performing well. After this update well, not so good. My taskbar jumplists have disappeared, my (stardock) desktop fences have disappeared. Paths are wrong. Etc etc.

    The 1903 update is not working for me and I'd suggest that the scope of this 'issue' extends down to even those who use their PC's for surfing only.

    Update: I've managed to roll back to the version before 1903 and it was a painless and pretty fast process, so thanks due to MS for that. 

    Anyway, thanks for your suggestions Dave.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-07-06T20:38:32+00:00

    Hi Arch

    Click your Start Button, then just type cmd and hit Enter

    In the resulting Command Prompt window, run this command and hit Enter:

    whoami

    What exactly is returned form that command

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-07-06T20:33:46+00:00

    Dave, I see you've posted elsewhere many times since my reply above: any chance you might want to come back and follow up on my new queries. Your solution did not work.

    Alternatively, can someone else follow up on my new questions? or is this just a copy and paste exercise to gaining points quickly?

    We clearly have a problem with how 1903 is installing. We don't wan't folks User folder getting deleted through update 'issues', once again.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments