Temporary files increasing every day by the gigabyte

Anonymous
2019-04-05T12:22:36+00:00

Yesterday I went to a computer repair person because I was getting messages that I was out of storage.  He had never heard of this problem but he ran a piece of software and said I would be good for a long time.  Well since yesterday another 6 gigs of temporary files have appeared in my storage.  I read some other articles first in this forum and tried the troubleshooter method and that didn't do anything.  It said it could not find anything wrong.  I don't want to bring it back to the computer repair person because he was just as perplexed as I am right now.

James

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-07T12:11:15+00:00

    It sort of looks like it.  Here is a screenshot.  I'm sure it goes much farther down

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-07T11:52:48+00:00

    Dave:  The first three screenshots are from yesterday morning.   Then the rest are from this morning

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-05T14:00:00+00:00

    I took your advice.  Shown below is a screenshot of what it says after running the program

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. DaveM121 935.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2019-04-05T12:49:40+00:00

    Hi James

    Windows Explorer is useless when it comes to working out where your hard drive space is being used . . .

    Click the link below to download a small free utility called Treesize. Using that tool, you can monitor to see where this space is being used up and its exact location

    https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

    Once you have worked out where this space is being used, please let me know so I can advise on what the underlying problem may be. . .

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-04-05T12:30:45+00:00

    Hi James,

    I'm Stefano an Independent Advisor, here to help you.

    First of all, I suggest you to perform a disk clean-up:

    1. Open "File Explorer"
    2. Click on "This PC"
    3. Right click on "C:"
    4. Click on "Proprieties"
    5. Click on "Clean-up disk"
    6. Click on "Clean up system files"
    7. Select every option in the list, but not "Download"
    8. Click on "OK"

    Then I suggest you to follow this procedure:

    1. Type "cmd" in windows search bar
    2. Right click on "Command Prompt"
    3. Select "Run as Administrator"
    4. Type "sfc /scannow" without quote and press ENTER

    Please let me know if there are some files corrupted or damaged that can't be repaired.

    Once ended try performing a clean boot:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments