Microsoft Refund Scam

Anonymous
2019-02-01T23:00:33+00:00

Received numerous phone calls from the following phone number 1-844-386-8965 stating that because Microsoft was no longer going to provide technical support, that I was entitled to a refund.  Today, I decided to call this pestering caller.  When I asked how much the refund was, the gentlemen with an Indian accent said that the refund was $300.00.  He request that I start my computer and that we could proceed with moving forward with getting the refund.  He wanted to get access to my computer.  He said it would take about 15 minutes to get this refund process done.  I told him that I did not have time to stay on the computer for 15 minutes since I had an appointment.  He said he would be glad to call me back at a time that I specified.  I said good bye and have not returned their call.  I caution anyone receiving this type of phone call that it is very likely a SCAM.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-08-07T08:10:16+00:00

    I wish it was not, but you are completely right.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-08-06T15:53:51+00:00

    This is a well-known and recurring scam that ranks right up there with the phony "IRS has issued a warrant for your arrest unless you call this number now."  The telephone numbers are useless since almost all scammers use spoofing software that generates a phony number on your caller ID.  We wouldn't keep getting these calls and emails if they weren't paying off for the scammers.  If they get "bites" on only one percent of their calls, they've had a good payday.

    There are just way too many naïve and trusting folks out there, especially elderly people who were raised in an era when people trusted each other and phone scams and phishing hadn't yet been invented.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-07-30T21:27:11+00:00

    Same scam, different day and numbers! Two new scam numbers are 704-399-3785 and 704-476-0569. Same Indian sounding gentleman offering a refund of the Windows support that I never paid for. "Just click on a link to follow technical instructions and we can refund your money." I kept asking him to read me the link as I certainly wasn't going to click on anything he sent me. Unsurprisingly, he wouldn't do it and ultimately hung up on me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-07-26T22:01:30+00:00

    Looks like they are using a new number. The number they used for us was 888-289-4009.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-07-25T22:30:32+00:00

    I totally get it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments