Microsoft Refund Scam

Anonymous
2019-02-01T23:00:33+00:00

Received numerous phone calls from the following phone number 1-844-386-8965 stating that because Microsoft was no longer going to provide technical support, that I was entitled to a refund.  Today, I decided to call this pestering caller.  When I asked how much the refund was, the gentlemen with an Indian accent said that the refund was $300.00.  He request that I start my computer and that we could proceed with moving forward with getting the refund.  He wanted to get access to my computer.  He said it would take about 15 minutes to get this refund process done.  I told him that I did not have time to stay on the computer for 15 minutes since I had an appointment.  He said he would be glad to call me back at a time that I specified.  I said good bye and have not returned their call.  I caution anyone receiving this type of phone call that it is very likely a SCAM.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-07-25T21:16:59+00:00

    And the scam goes on...

    Just today, 7/25/19- got call, went to message, they had the nads to leave message. Unbelievable!

    Same trick, different day, # is 925-503-0439. 

    The world is full of these creeps, best way to annoy these losers is string em along.

    "Oh no, I've got to run to the bank and get the cash and run by store to buy these gift cards.

    I'll have to call you back when I'm ready". This will work out great if you're willing to compose a "nice" sign off statement when they call back.

    If you know what I mean...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-07-22T18:49:59+00:00

    so let's get enough info together a lot of these posts have the info but how many people have they been able to take advantage of and how many more.  I think this should be in the news or Good Morning America or something just to get it out there all over

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-07-22T18:07:20+00:00

    We need to get an address for the NY Attorney General's office to file a complaint.  I'm not sure they will take a compaint over the phone with as little info as we have.  Here is all the contact info I can supply:

    call from 516-758-0959

    tech was David

    rech ID IT12716

    the area code is New York. a reverse lookup provides no info.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-07-22T17:12:25+00:00

    The unfortunate part is that they are still calling I received 2 calls since my original one.  How does this stop?  Is Microsoft aware maybe we should call Mr. Gates????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-07-22T15:28:55+00:00

    An excellent idea.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments