Refers to upgrade hardware I think.
The Windows 10 that was forced on me is so bloated it has no performance and updates will not work - can I get 8?
I am using Asus T200A which is a lightweight PC/Tablet
Windows is 10.0.16299 Build 16299
There are too many problems to list
The system has got so slow and bloated with Windows software with less tha a Gig left on my C: drive, that when I want to open a new application, I have to close down the application I am using, clean everything possible out of system and then sometimes restart (20 minutes +)
Screen rotation has disappeared
The final straw is that for the last few weeks every time I try to restart my PC it tries to install KB4338825
This is the process :-
RESTARTING
after around 90 seconds “Getting Windows Ready Don’t turn off your computer”
after around 10 minutes “Restarting”
after a few minutes I can select Windows 10
“Scanning and repairung drive (:c)”
after another 5 minutes
PC restarts
“Getting Windows ready Don’t turn off you computer”
When Windows starts again
Windows Update states “Update status - Your device is up to date”
BUT if I select check for updates I get -
Updates are available
‘”2018-07 Cumaltive Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x86-based Systems (KB4338825)”
Status: Installing [ starts at 0 reaches 100% ]
then Status: awaiting restart
If I select ‘resart’ then the whole process starts over - another 20 minutes or so
Update History reports 0x80073712 - file needed by Windows Update is damaged or missing
Ran Troubleshooter - results Potential Windows Update Database error detected
Ran sfc /scannow - Windows Protection did not find any integrity violations
:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.16299.15
Image Version: 10.0.16299.492
[===========================83.7%================ ]
Error: 0x800f081f
The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
and then ……
C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.16299.15
Image Version: 10.0.16299.492
[===========================83.7%================ ]
Error: 0x800f081f
The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
The T200A has 32 Gig C: drive, a 500 Gig iwhen attached to base station and any numer of external usb drives from 14 gig t0 10Tb
Even with everything possible moved off the C: drive there is only around 800 Mb to 1.5 Gig left
I have spent too many hours trying to get windows 10 to work on this PC
I would have loaded Linux in preference to this useless system BUT there are programmes I need to run that will only work under windows
Is there
1) a way to use another drive for the system
or 2) A light version of windows 10
or 3) a way of deleting all of the bloatware (X-Box, Microsoft Edge, Grove Music, Maps etc, etc) to free up space
If not, please give me instructions on how to return to Windows 8 that was working perfectly( I was forced onto Windows 10)
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2018-08-21T16:04:29+00:00 What do you mean by "It may be time to upgrade" Janey ?
I thought Windows 10 was the latest offering
Mike
-
Anonymous
2018-08-21T13:27:10+00:00 Remember that each update saves the earlier version and build in a windows. Old folder while installing the new version/update along side of it. So if you are running with such a limited storage space (32GB storage) and you need a minimum of 20GB Storage for Windows 10 you are (at least temporarily with each update) using 40GB storage space. Which is going to create problems.
It may be time to upgrade.
-
Anonymous
2018-08-21T11:13:20+00:00 Thanks Janey
Believe me, I have tried everything.
I have moved all of the libraries (Documents, Downloads, Music etc, etc) onto MicroSD
I have 17 GB of Windows files
I have 6.5 GB of Program Files (2.2 GB of which are Windows Apps) and 2.6 GB ProgramData
Out of the remaining 4.5GB, 4.2 GB must reside on C: (Anti-Virus, etc)
No other User App is more than 150 MB
MS fail to appreciate is that many applications, including their own, do not give the option of where they should be installed and are forced onto c:
Given that the true available usable space of the 32GB drive is 29.8GB and Windows is using at least 22GB of it, there seems to be no way of running a Windows 10 system on a '32GB' machine without reinstalling the software every time there is an update. (and, of course, having to back up all data and reinstall and set up all applications)
There is nothing else I can move off c:
MS say they want 4 GB free space to install the update., Why on earth would an update require an additional 4GB of space? If it is only temporary then why can't it use the more than 3 Terabytes it has available?
So; strictly speaking Windows 10 will run in 32GB machines, but in reality this will only be achievable is no applications are installed
I had a long chat with a very helpful MS support agent who, after I convinced her that I had tried everything she was suggesting, admitted that the only way to update a 32GB machine was to reinstall every time. Quote ....... "in this case I would suggest you for clean installation only"
Perhaps MS should update their published "minimum requirements for Windows 10"
I am still trying to work out if I can fool Windows into believing that the my D: drive (the permanently installed Micro SD card is my C: drive ant use that drive for installation. If not, then I will have to ask MS how to move my license to a become a dual boot system on one of our Linux devices. I am also investigating the use of Gandalf’s Windows 10 x86 PE on a bootable usb drive.
Thanks everybody
Mike
-
Anonymous
2018-08-21T05:39:29+00:00 Have you examined the possibilities offered at http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3091473/uninstall-reinstall-windows-built-apps.html