The Windows 10 that was forced on me is so bloated it has no performance and updates will not work - can I get 8?

Anonymous
2018-08-16T17:14:07+00:00

I am using Asus T200A which is a lightweight PC/Tablet

Windows is 10.0.16299 Build 16299

There are too many problems to list

The system has got so slow and bloated with Windows software with less tha a Gig left on my C: drive, that when I want to open a new application, I have to close down the application I am using,  clean everything possible out of system and then sometimes restart (20 minutes +)

Screen rotation has disappeared

The final straw is that for the last few weeks every time I try to restart my PC it tries to install KB4338825

This is the process :-

RESTARTING

after  around  90 seconds    “Getting Windows Ready    Don’t turn off your computer”

after around   10 minutes    “Restarting”

after a few minutes  I can select Windows 10

“Scanning and repairung drive (:c)”

after another 5 minutes

PC restarts

“Getting Windows ready    Don’t turn off you computer”

When Windows starts again

Windows Update states  “Update status     -   Your device is up to date”

BUT  if I select check for updates  I get  -

Updates are available

‘”2018-07 Cumaltive Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x86-based Systems (KB4338825)”

Status: Installing  [    starts at 0   reaches 100%   ]

then  Status: awaiting restart

If I select ‘resart’   then the whole process starts over  -    another 20 minutes or so

Update History reports 0x80073712  - file needed by Windows Update is damaged or missing

Ran Troubleshooter    -  results Potential Windows Update Database error detected

Ran sfc /scannow     -    Windows Protection did not find any integrity violations

:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.492

[===========================83.7%================          ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

and then ……

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.492

[===========================83.7%================          ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The T200A has 32 Gig C: drive, a 500 Gig iwhen attached to base station and any numer of external usb drives from 14 gig t0 10Tb

Even with everything possible moved off the C: drive there is only around 800 Mb to 1.5 Gig left

I have spent too many hours trying to get windows 10 to work on this PC

I would have loaded Linux in preference to this useless system BUT there are programmes I need to run that will only work under windows

Is  there

1)   a way to use another drive for the system

or 2) A light version of windows 10

or 3) a way of deleting all of the bloatware  (X-Box, Microsoft Edge, Grove Music, Maps  etc, etc) to free up space

If not, please give me instructions on how  to return to  Windows 8 that was working perfectly( I was forced onto Windows 10)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-22T21:02:54+00:00

    Hey Thank Neil

    Useful to know

    What I really want to do is load Windows 8 or 10  as a dual boot along side on of my Linux systems

    How do I transfer the license that I have purchased if it looks at the BIOS ?

    Thanks

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-22T20:03:15+00:00

    You did not purchase Windows for the Windows 8.1 Computer you are having the issue with. You did not pay for the Upgrade to it is what I said.

    You bought that Computer with Windows installed. There were a whole raft of those computers licensed by Asus (OEM License) one of which you bought, Feel free to type license.rtf in your Cortana/Search window to see what applies to you (the End User License Agreement).

    If you don't like Microsoft don't buy computers with Microsoft installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-21T22:04:05+00:00

    No, Mike. You wouldn't have to buy a new copy of Windows every few years.

    You'd have to buy it once...which you haven't yet.

    What you have been buying are computers with Windows already installed. Which included (in the purchase price) a license to use Windows on that device for as long as you used it.

    This is called an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) License.

    Along with this you got a Free Upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft when Progress overtook your Operating System. Danged generous of them, I'd call it, since, up to this point, you haven't given Microsoft one thin dime. You paid Asus.

    IF you choose to get a better device with more storage you can either buy one with Windows installed as you have been doing and leave it at that or you can buy a retail version of Windows which then licenses YOU not just a certain device belonging to you to install it on every computer you buy from then on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-08-21T19:36:50+00:00

    I'd agree it's about time that hardware manufacturers stopped building systems with such small primary drives. (128GB should be the min, with 256GB recommended) Or Microsoft enable use of extra storage for the update process. I'm sure manufacturers are quite aware of the requirements to run and update Windows 10 when they design hardware for Windows 10.

    I suppose your device was designed for Windows 8/8.1 so requirements were different. Mainstream support for Windows 8.1 finished Jan 2018, extended Jan 2023.

    It might be that the best solution would be to go back to Windows 8.1 as the OP first suggested.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-21T16:52:07+00:00

    ????  So I have to buy a new copy of Windows every few years ??   Very clever Microsoft

    I am afraid not

    It is this simple:  We needed a little PC which converted into a tablet for a specific purpose (using a Windows only application). The Asus was perfect. It came with Windows 8 and worked like a dream.

    Microsoft forced the Update to Windows 10 and ever since it has been almost unusable.

    There are millions of users with 32GB "netbooks" who bought the systems with either Windows 8 or 10.

    There are hundreds of different netbooks on sale with Windows 10 and 32GB storage but Microsoft do not point out that they can not be updated (I assume that they do not want to lose the lucrative netbook market)

    Googling my problem will uncover countless people with the same problem.

    Microsoft have made no attempt to rectify the problem

    If Microsoft would like to buy the system back from me then fine. Up until then I want them to make it work.

    If they can't then I will be scouring the internet looking for software (legal or otherwise) to get my system working again

    BTW, does anybody have any experience of Gandalf's Windows PE  ?

    Thanks

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments