The Windows 10 that was forced on me is so bloated it has no performance and updates will not work - can I get 8?

Anonymous
2018-08-16T17:14:07+00:00

I am using Asus T200A which is a lightweight PC/Tablet

Windows is 10.0.16299 Build 16299

There are too many problems to list

The system has got so slow and bloated with Windows software with less tha a Gig left on my C: drive, that when I want to open a new application, I have to close down the application I am using,  clean everything possible out of system and then sometimes restart (20 minutes +)

Screen rotation has disappeared

The final straw is that for the last few weeks every time I try to restart my PC it tries to install KB4338825

This is the process :-

RESTARTING

after  around  90 seconds    “Getting Windows Ready    Don’t turn off your computer”

after around   10 minutes    “Restarting”

after a few minutes  I can select Windows 10

“Scanning and repairung drive (:c)”

after another 5 minutes

PC restarts

“Getting Windows ready    Don’t turn off you computer”

When Windows starts again

Windows Update states  “Update status     -   Your device is up to date”

BUT  if I select check for updates  I get  -

Updates are available

‘”2018-07 Cumaltive Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x86-based Systems (KB4338825)”

Status: Installing  [    starts at 0   reaches 100%   ]

then  Status: awaiting restart

If I select ‘resart’   then the whole process starts over  -    another 20 minutes or so

Update History reports 0x80073712  - file needed by Windows Update is damaged or missing

Ran Troubleshooter    -  results Potential Windows Update Database error detected

Ran sfc /scannow     -    Windows Protection did not find any integrity violations

:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.492

[===========================83.7%================          ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

and then ……

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.492

[===========================83.7%================          ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The T200A has 32 Gig C: drive, a 500 Gig iwhen attached to base station and any numer of external usb drives from 14 gig t0 10Tb

Even with everything possible moved off the C: drive there is only around 800 Mb to 1.5 Gig left

I have spent too many hours trying to get windows 10 to work on this PC

I would have loaded Linux in preference to this useless system BUT there are programmes I need to run that will only work under windows

Is  there

1)   a way to use another drive for the system

or 2) A light version of windows 10

or 3) a way of deleting all of the bloatware  (X-Box, Microsoft Edge, Grove Music, Maps  etc, etc) to free up space

If not, please give me instructions on how  to return to  Windows 8 that was working perfectly( I was forced onto Windows 10)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-21T00:25:08+00:00

    Thanks Janey,

    Just spent an hour talking to agent

    Only suggestion was clean install

    Not an option

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-20T21:34:06+00:00

    Oh I really think you should talk to the AI.

    She may not be able to answer your question but she does offer an option:

    "

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-20T17:48:14+00:00

    Hey, Thanks Neil

    ...and again thanks to  Janey, Dave and Sarah

    This is so frustrating. This is one of the reasons that so many users, enterprise in particular, are dumping Microsoft in droves.  As I mentioned, we have had to retain one PC as MS. Every other one of our systems has been converted to the far superior Linux.

    Users are fed up with  " we won't spend any money on support staff, we will let other users take all the flak and try to answer all of the questions while we prevent our customers from contacting us"

    I am sorry for this rant;  exactly the same can be said about just about every major corporation. It is just that MS have absolutely no interest in my ( and the other stacks of users) problem with their software. Their arrogance is astonishing.

    Oh well, ho hum. We will just have to look into dumping our application that needs MS in favour of one that will run in Linux

    Thanks guys

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-08-20T17:02:36+00:00

    You won't get a response from MS here, we are users like yourself.

    If you only have a 32GB C:\ drive this is far too small for Windows 10. You would probably struggle in the future at 128GB. Your device was designed for Windows 8 and perhaps would be better with Windows 8/8.1.

    You could try a clean install of version 1803 using boot media created with the Media Creation Tool.

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-20T16:31:23+00:00

    I have contacted Microsoft. Take a look at the url in your bowser.  the clue is in  'microsoft.com'

    ........another clue is the huge Microsoft logo at the top of the page

    ........and yet another is that you have to sign in to a Microsoft account to get to this Microsoft site

    If you contact Microsoft and ask 'how do i ask a question', the answer is https://answers.microsoft.com/page/gettingstarted. Which is exactly what I have did

    If there is another site to submit support questions, I have yet to find it

    Please do not suggest the 'virtual agent', my initial problem was too long and complex for poorly attempted  AI, I need to send that question in an email or post it in an online Microsoft Support site, such as this one

    Again, I really do appreciate people trying to help but I need definitive answers from Microsoft, particularly as this is a problem that they are trying to ignore

    I find it incredible to be told that Microsoft support sites are not monitored by Microsoft

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments