The Windows 10 that was forced on me is so bloated it has no performance and updates will not work - can I get 8?

Anonymous
2018-08-16T17:14:07+00:00

I am using Asus T200A which is a lightweight PC/Tablet

Windows is 10.0.16299 Build 16299

There are too many problems to list

The system has got so slow and bloated with Windows software with less tha a Gig left on my C: drive, that when I want to open a new application, I have to close down the application I am using,  clean everything possible out of system and then sometimes restart (20 minutes +)

Screen rotation has disappeared

The final straw is that for the last few weeks every time I try to restart my PC it tries to install KB4338825

This is the process :-

RESTARTING

after  around  90 seconds    “Getting Windows Ready    Don’t turn off your computer”

after around   10 minutes    “Restarting”

after a few minutes  I can select Windows 10

“Scanning and repairung drive (:c)”

after another 5 minutes

PC restarts

“Getting Windows ready    Don’t turn off you computer”

When Windows starts again

Windows Update states  “Update status     -   Your device is up to date”

BUT  if I select check for updates  I get  -

Updates are available

‘”2018-07 Cumaltive Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x86-based Systems (KB4338825)”

Status: Installing  [    starts at 0   reaches 100%   ]

then  Status: awaiting restart

If I select ‘resart’   then the whole process starts over  -    another 20 minutes or so

Update History reports 0x80073712  - file needed by Windows Update is damaged or missing

Ran Troubleshooter    -  results Potential Windows Update Database error detected

Ran sfc /scannow     -    Windows Protection did not find any integrity violations

:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.492

[===========================83.7%================          ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

and then ……

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.492

[===========================83.7%================          ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The T200A has 32 Gig C: drive, a 500 Gig iwhen attached to base station and any numer of external usb drives from 14 gig t0 10Tb

Even with everything possible moved off the C: drive there is only around 800 Mb to 1.5 Gig left

I have spent too many hours trying to get windows 10 to work on this PC

I would have loaded Linux in preference to this useless system BUT there are programmes I need to run that will only work under windows

Is  there

1)   a way to use another drive for the system

or 2) A light version of windows 10

or 3) a way of deleting all of the bloatware  (X-Box, Microsoft Edge, Grove Music, Maps  etc, etc) to free up space

If not, please give me instructions on how  to return to  Windows 8 that was working perfectly( I was forced onto Windows 10)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-27T17:11:39+00:00

    Oh dear Janey

    I can't believe that somebody would believe that Dell, HP, Lenovo and all the other major suppliers can't "handle the latest developments in computing".

    The Asus is way less than 3 years old and is still current. It is one of the few devices that can instantly change between Tablet and Notebook (which, along with the glowing reviews, is why we bought it)

    It is interesting that Microsoft's Surface Go brought in to replace the disastrous Surface RT (2012) and Surface 3 (2015), have specified a minimum of 64GB storage. They seem to know something that they havent told Dell or HP or Asus or Lenovo

    The sad truth is that Microsoft can no longer handle the latest developments in computing hardware. They are rapidly becoming the OS dinosaur. The Internet runs on Linux, as do most business servers, Android phones, Air traffic control centres, smart vehicles,

    This is why they are desperate to phase out Windows in favour of cloud computing and SaaS and why they have just spent $billions on purchasing Github.

    Out of interest, we have a 20 year old IBM (now Lenovo) Thinkpad Pentium 233MHz, 32MB SDRAM, 4GB HDD running the very latest version of a Linux distro which is using 256 MB memory and 512MB disk space. This machine is being used to develop very complex spreadsheets

    And do try to read the posts properly. At no point did I say Bill Gates is still with Micro$oft. If you have a dictionary, look up 'disciple'

    I did contact the 'experts' at Microsoft, but these people are just 18 year olds sitting in an Asian call centre looking up things on a database. They have no knowledge themselves. They are average intelligence school leavers, but so, so, so cheap to employ

    It is little wonder that so many business users are ditching Microsoft.

    Although you have brightened our days keeping us laughing at your complete and utter misunderstanding of, or knowledge relating to, PC hardware and software, business or economics, we must now respectfully ask you to stop replying on this thread as we are waiting for a Windows expert to try to help with the problem

    and a little bit of advice................ don't get involved in discussions where you are way, way, way  out of your depth

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-26T13:52:34+00:00

    Thanks DP,

    I feel really sorry for the people who are at this very moment buying 32GB systems (many models being sold by every single vendor - Dell, Lenovo, HP etc etc), when they realise that Windows will eventually fail to operate properly or update if they have the audacity to load real applications onto their PCs

    Thanks for the suggestions I might will try posting the questions I have on to AskWoody

    .... and don't apolagise, at least you can appreciate the problem and are not getting wildly sidetracked :)

    I was assuming there would be some Windows experts on Microsoft's own 'Answers' site. But apparently not, just disciples of the Gospel according to Bill

    Oh well, it was semi-entertaining 

    Thanks again DP

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-22T20:58:40+00:00

    Yes I did pay for the 8.1 when I purchased the Asus

    Let me explain

    When you buy a computer with Windows installed, part of that price is what the PC manufacturer has to pay Microsoft for the license. IT IS NOT FREE

    Maybe you missed the following in my last post :-

    "FY'15 Revenue (latest figures available) for 'Windows PC Operating systems' (non-server) is $15 Billion (16% of revenue)"   (Oddly enough, the Asus was purchased in this period so I paid part of that $15 Billion)

    My End User License Agreement in license.rtf is exactly the same as for every other OEM system purchased from Microsoft

    It is nothing to do with not liking Microsoft. It is, for any company and any product, getting what I have paid for.

    Through the 80's and 90's through to around 2019/10, when Microsoft was run by Bill Gates and a whole bunch of techies, I insisted that all of my companies PCs were Windows and all of my our applications were Microsoft where possible. I was a huge MS fan because they cared about the users .

    But now Microsoft is run by corporate stockholders who can only see $ signs. Like for example, instead of employing support staff they leave first line support to users. You may, at heart, be trying to help other users, but you are also making the stockholders more money

    and just once more for clarity . Yes, I paid for Windows 8. And no, I didn't ask Microsoft to upgrade the PC to Windows 10 and trash it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-08-22T20:55:42+00:00

    To answer your question yes your Windows 8 licence key is still valid for the device. You can install Windows 10 or Windows 8 on the device, in this case the key is embedded in the bios. That wouldn't stop you returning to Windows 7 if you had that OS previously on the device. An upgraded device can have either the original OS installed or Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-22T17:58:28+00:00

    I really do appreciate you trying to help Janey but you have been misinformed

    It is astonishing how people believe the rubbish that MS spout about their systems being "free".

    How on Earth do you think that they got to have the 4th largest valuation in the world? by giving me their software for free? FY'15 Revenue (latest figures available) for 'Windows PC Operating systems' (non-server) is $15 Billion (16% of revenue). That is not Free

               "You'd have to buy it once...which you haven't yet"

    I have bought many, many copies of Windows. (thats how Microsoft have made so much money) I have bought around 20 copies in all for personal (family) use (Windows 1,2,3,95,98, ME, Vista, 7 and 8) none of these were free. For my businesses, we spent thousands upon thousands for MS software

    On one occasion I needed a replacement for a corrupt CD and Microsoft demanded payment for a new disk at the full retail price of the Windows System even though I had already purchased the license to use the software (you never own it) and the CD would cost a few pence (dime or two)

              "What you have been buying are computers with Windows already installed".

    It is only relatively recently (the last ten years or so) that most PCs are supplied with an operating system. Before that I paid for every single copy of Windows

               "Which included (in the purchase price) a license to use Windows on that device for as long as you

               used it"

    ..... and the OEM passed that on to MS (this is what OEM Licensing means) Therefore I paid MS

              "Along with this you got a Free Upgrade to Windows 10 from Microsoft when Progress overtook your

              Operating System. Danged generous of them, I'd call it"

    Generous? Free? This was a disastrously failed attempt by MS to force everybody using Vista, 7 and 8 on to a single operating system. You really have to understand Microsoft's marketing strategy. You also have to understand Microsoft's aim of having a single core software system across all platforms leading to hugely reduced support costs and greater profits.

                "............since, up to this point, you haven't given Microsoft one thin dime. You paid Asus"

    I have given MS thousands and thousands of dollars. In this particular case I paid Asus and Asus paid Microsoft. Therefore I paid MS (MS is not a charity)

               "IF you choose to get a better device with more storage"

    Better? MS should offer a better operating system to go with what is considered to be the 'standard' (32GB Storage and 2 GB RAM) for a netbook . I think Asus and all of he other manufacturers would disagree with you saying that their offerings are not good enough.

    The Asus is a wonderful little piece of kit spoilt only by Windows 10. Every other operating system I have tried on it runs very smoothly. If it were not for our legacy application that needs a Microsoft system, we could have said goodbye, globally, to MS a long time ago.

    So sorry Janey, you are so very wrong. I have paid a whole stack of money to MS (culminating with hem trashing my current MS system)

    Thanks for your input though Janey, I really do appreciate people trying to help, but please check your facts before posting

    I still await any help whatsoever from Mr Gate's thousands and thousands of staff.

    Oh but I forgot; They already have my money so they really couldn't care less.

    No wonder the MS market share has been dropping like a brick in recent years.

    Oh and sorry Neil, I forgot to answer you

    Yes Neil, it would be nice if the drives were bigger but the whole idea of a netbook is that it is low specification and affordable. The cost difference between 32GB and 128GB would price a netbook out of consideration (although in our case price wasn't an issue. It was perfect for what we needed and was less than £400) It is no surprise that many manufactures are ditching MS in favour of other operating systems.

    The mistake by Asus, and many other netbook manufacturers, is not allowing upgrade of the internal SSD, and the mistake by Microsoft is bloating its software out of the reach of 32GB machines. The problem for MS is that a lighter system will not include the bloatware that allows them to sell frighteningly huge amounts of our details to whosoever wants to pay for them. It won't happen

    I may take it back to 8.1 I am told that going back to 8.1 utilises the key from current windows 10 installation. If not, I will insist that Microsoft get it working as it was Microsoft who trashed it in the first place.

    Come on Microsoft, I dare you to get involved in this discussion and answer my questions (don't hold your breath)

    Next week War and Peace :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments