The Windows 10 that was forced on me is so bloated it has no performance and updates will not work - can I get 8?

Anonymous
2018-08-16T17:14:07+00:00

I am using Asus T200A which is a lightweight PC/Tablet

Windows is 10.0.16299 Build 16299

There are too many problems to list

The system has got so slow and bloated with Windows software with less tha a Gig left on my C: drive, that when I want to open a new application, I have to close down the application I am using,  clean everything possible out of system and then sometimes restart (20 minutes +)

Screen rotation has disappeared

The final straw is that for the last few weeks every time I try to restart my PC it tries to install KB4338825

This is the process :-

RESTARTING

after  around  90 seconds    “Getting Windows Ready    Don’t turn off your computer”

after around   10 minutes    “Restarting”

after a few minutes  I can select Windows 10

“Scanning and repairung drive (:c)”

after another 5 minutes

PC restarts

“Getting Windows ready    Don’t turn off you computer”

When Windows starts again

Windows Update states  “Update status     -   Your device is up to date”

BUT  if I select check for updates  I get  -

Updates are available

‘”2018-07 Cumaltive Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x86-based Systems (KB4338825)”

Status: Installing  [    starts at 0   reaches 100%   ]

then  Status: awaiting restart

If I select ‘resart’   then the whole process starts over  -    another 20 minutes or so

Update History reports 0x80073712  - file needed by Windows Update is damaged or missing

Ran Troubleshooter    -  results Potential Windows Update Database error detected

Ran sfc /scannow     -    Windows Protection did not find any integrity violations

:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.492

[===========================83.7%================          ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

and then ……

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.492

[===========================83.7%================          ]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The T200A has 32 Gig C: drive, a 500 Gig iwhen attached to base station and any numer of external usb drives from 14 gig t0 10Tb

Even with everything possible moved off the C: drive there is only around 800 Mb to 1.5 Gig left

I have spent too many hours trying to get windows 10 to work on this PC

I would have loaded Linux in preference to this useless system BUT there are programmes I need to run that will only work under windows

Is  there

1)   a way to use another drive for the system

or 2) A light version of windows 10

or 3) a way of deleting all of the bloatware  (X-Box, Microsoft Edge, Grove Music, Maps  etc, etc) to free up space

If not, please give me instructions on how  to return to  Windows 8 that was working perfectly( I was forced onto Windows 10)

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-27T14:31:52+00:00

    Hi again Neil and DP

    I am rather hoping that the new collaboration between Microsoft and  Linux will lead to some good things.

    It should remembered that, up until a few years ago, Microsoft was Gates' baby.

    Now that Gates has jumped ship, Nadella does not have that emotional connection clouding his judgment. He can make decisions that are good for Microsoft stockholders and users

    I rather hope that his embracing of Linux will lead to great things, such as a Microsoft operating system for my PC that is Linux based but compatible with applications written for MS only.

    He, at least, realises that the days of propitiatory PC operating systems are close to demise and that the future income of Microsoft is in applications and SaaS.

    Just about every server, router, Android phone, firewall, smart car, air traffic control centre, bank, nuclear submarine and particle accelerator is run by a Linux system.

    Judging by the release of Azure Sphere, it is now pretty much odds on that future Microsoft operating systems will be Linux based .

    I might just wait and hope there will be a free replacement of Windows 10 :)

    Purchase of Github?    -    Slowly, softly, catchee monkey

    My personal prediction is that, given the exponential increase of affordable bandwidth to the user and similar decrease in the cost of storage and computing power to the vendor, we will turn the clocks back to my banking days when I had pretty dumb terminals connected  to my very powerful central processor (IBM mainframe). Bonus to vendor? no user hardware/software support costs.  Those were the days :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-26T10:39:32+00:00

    Thanks DP

    I have followed the link. I think that I may have already tried that process, but I will give it another shot

    That link, and further onward links do highlight just how many recently purchased, current standard spec, state of the art netbooks are being trashed by Microsoft's attempts at trying to force unwanted updates.

    I find it incredible that M$ have not taken the relatively simple step of adapting their install service to acknowledge the existence of attached or external storage (My Asus has over 2.5 Terabyes available).  Ah, but of course, that would mean that we would not have to by more PCs with more Windows licenses. For every PC that Windows 'outgrows', they can ring up another Windows sale.  cha-ding !

    But I for one, will not be buying another Windows license from them

    I think my course of action now will be to load Linux permanently onto the Asus. It flies with even Mint installed. LibreOffice spreadsheets load, save and calculate under Mint about 15 times faster than Excel under Windows 10 

    But I will still need some form of windows for our legacy application (note 'application' not 'App'). I will probably load a 'borrowed' copy of Windows 7 as dual boot onto one of our power PCs

    Thanks again for the head's up DP

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T20:07:29+00:00

    Thanks Neil

    The wiping is what I am trying to avoid

    I am making some progress testing Windows dual booted with Linux with a 'borrowed' key

    Not  sure whether it will do what I need but it seems like Microsoft are not at all concerned with sorting out this problem that is shared by a very large number of users, many who were forced or bullied onto Windows 10, as 32GB,/2GB still seems to be the standard for netbbooks

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-25T20:00:36+00:00

    Oh dear

    Let me have one more go at trying to explain to you as simply as is possible.

    Lets say a copy of OEM Windows is $75.  I reimburse the manufacturer the $75 that they paid to Microsoft. 

    I have $75 less in my bank account - Microsoft has $75 more. (In reality, market forces dictate that there is little or no profit for the shop and manufacturer in Windows, they mostly make the profit on the hardware)

    I recently bought a new car. The dealer ordered it from the Manufacturer. I gave my money to the dealer who then paid most of it to the manufacturer. I know it wasn't the same physical notes, but it was the same money. My money went to the manufacturer !!!!   Please tell me you can follow this?

    Or how about I bought a tin of beans from the supermarket. With most of my money the supermarket paid Heinz for a replacement tin. My money went to Heinz

    This is book 1, page 1 for economics students which I had previously considered it to be pretty simple for anybody to follow, although you seem to be struggling with it. But I really don't have time to start teaching you the economics of supply chain.

    And do try to keep up..... I am the OP's whose 'problem isn't with Microsoft. It's with that cheap 32 bit Chinese Import he bought that is incompatible with modern computing needs "

    Just a tiny thing wrong with that statement.....a) It was not cheap   b) It is not a Chinese import (mine was made in Europe) and C) it has the current spec for its type and use of PC. Apart from that you were spot on.

    For your enlightenment, the hardware for Apple, Dell, Sony, HP and yes ........ Microsoft is  manufactured in China (..the original Macbook was manufactured by Asus). So I guess that makes them all cheap Chinese imports.

    Take a look at the underside of you laptop (or accompanying paperwork) where it should show you the country of manufacturer  (mine says Czech Republic) There is a 99% chance that if you are in the USA it will be Taiwan, China. (although some of them stretch the law and use 'place of assembly' or similar)

    So yes, the problem is most certainly with Microsoft. If you had read previous posts properly you will know that the Asus is still compatible with every single operating system that we have tried it on except Windows 10,.

    But, you have given us a good chuckle with your hilarious misunderstanding of supply chain economics. According to your model, where only the stores end up with any of our money, all the manufacturers will go broke.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-23T09:48:01+00:00

    I do not misunderstand anything

    Please just re-read what you just said

    "And we didn't pay Microsoft anything for it. We paid the computer manufacturer (or, actually, the retail store we bought it from not Microsoft."

    followed by

    "The Manufacturer paid Microsoft"

    Don't you get it?  Our money ends up with Microsoft. This is how Microsoft make money

    I think the whole business of licensing is confusing you. It is really just a commodity for sale like anything else. I buy the license to use Windows from a store who buys it from the manufacturer who buys it from Microsoft. Surely you can see that? You even just said that yourself 

    In your world, If I buy a new Mercedes from a dealer, Mercedes will not receive my money. This will mean, of course, every auto manufacturer going broke overnight. Not good for the economy

    I really can't think of any easier way to explain it to you. Perhaps somebody else can help?

    Again,     Microsoft have received a lot of my, and my companies' money, the last of which was the copy of Windows 8 under discussion. I stopped buying Microsoft products after this nonsense with Windows 10. Unfortunately Windows software is now aimed squarely at what I call 'the kids market'. You just have to look at the rubbish that is included in, and can't be deleted from 10. Windows is no longer a proposition for businesses, it is full of 'bloat-ware' They are following the mobile (cell) phone marketing philosophy of  'fill it with apps to make it look pretty, even if you will never use them'

    Microsoft, without my permission, and for their benefit not mine, changed the Windows 8 system, the license for which I had purchased from them through their distributor, to Windows 10. The system is no longer fit for purpose (a UK legal phrase)

    Let me try to explain to you what is wrong with what they did in a way that may be easier for you to understand.

    You buy a Mercedes AMG 65 Sedan. Actually you buy from a dealer who buys from the US Mercedes importer who buys from Mercedes in Germany. see how this works? Most of your money ends up at Mercedes in Germany, This is how Mercedes make money

    After 6 months you wake up one morning to find that Mercedes-Germany have taken away your 65 Sedan and left you with a C 300 just come off the assembly line in Tuscaloosa. You complain. But "Hey!,", Mercedes tell you, "this is a newer, more up to date model, you should thank us for exchanging it for free"

    But this is getting way off topic, and you would really need a thorough understanding of the general and legal differences of "agent", "distributor" "representative" "onward seller" "OEM" "dealer" "seller" and "buyer"

    I am at the advantage of having once ran an international IT software distribution company which is why I can absolutely assure you, regardless of what you seem to be convinced of, that when you buy a PC with Windows pre-installed, then the revenue for the license goes to Microsoft and nobody else.

    So if you don't mind, Janey, we will agree to disagree and I will wait for the answers to my original problem

    Thanks again and I wish you well

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments