Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 Build 16299.19 Double Login Screen Problem

Anonymous
2017-10-18T23:35:35+00:00

Hello Everyone,

          After the current update to Windows 10 on 10/17/17 Fall Creators Update OS Build 16299.19 1709. I'm now experiencing a little problem that I hope a Microsoft  technical engineer will take note, and issue a FIX in the next cumulative Update. When ever I enter my Password in the login screen, I Have to enter it in twice. It has like a little hang. It does Not have this problem when waking from sleep, Only on Fresh Boot... (start up). 

Also Microsoft: I have sent this problem to your "Feedback Hub" in hopes you will send a Fix.

Edit10/21/17 MicrosoftPlease see my last post to myself at end of this thread for temporary work around???...

Thank-You...

And Best Regards...

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-10-24T18:43:07+00:00

Hi all,

We are investigating reports of customers being asked to enter their password or PIN twice on the lock screen.

I am confirming the steps Leprechaun J wrote in a previous reply as the correct workaround at this time.

Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.

Down in the Privacy sections, toggle off the setting to “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish settings up my device after an update or restart.”

You will not see that second prompt for a password/pin the next time you start up.

Upvote / Follow one of the previously shared Feedback Hub reports to keep up to date with communications about the issue.

Paul…

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-21T20:27:01+00:00

    Hi Microsoft and All,

    Observation: After looking and tinkering with some of the settings, I find (that for me anyway) If I go to "Settings">Accounts>Sign-In Options> then scroll to the bottom of the screen, and turn "**OFF"**this switch 

    And then "Reboot" my system, Windows will only ask for my Password Once and boot into Win 10 Fall Creators as normal. 

    after this trial I returned the switch to the "On" position and the problem Returned. I will leave it "On" until Microsoft can Confirm the problem or Fix it correctly.  Has anyone else experienced this?... 

    I do NOT submit this as a FIX, or Suggest, that anyone try this suggestion. I Posted this here in Hopes that a Microsoft engineer will see it, and hopefully be able to point them into the right direction for a permanent Patch release in the next update. Ifanyone try's this, you do so, at your own Risk.

    I am a voluntary Microsoft Community Member like yourselves, and do Not work for Microsoft. 

    Thank-You

    Edit: 10/21/17 2:08pm After doing a Google search on this problem, I find that I'm Not the only one that has stumbled onto this. Someone on October 13th 2017 which is posted before me,  had almost this same information posted on "Reddit.com"labeled "Windows 10 Fall Creators Double login". "Just sending Credit to Where It belongs, after ALL it appears to me that they discovered it first":)

    Good Luck and Best Regards...

    If any of my Reply's to you where Helpful or Your Answer, Please mark as so, Thank-You

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-10-21T16:17:50+00:00

    Thank You for the suggestion PA Bear, However it's a little bit late for that <Grin>... I have already removed the Old Windows and only have the New version on my system now. And it does work Very Wellexcept for this one little annoyance. That I can most defiantly live with for now, until there is a  official "Bug Fix" released from Microsoft. I did however Edit the Question Title Here, in hopes to attract More members to post here with a " I Have The Same Problem" and since yesterday the "Up Votes" over on the Feedback Hub has more than doubled in size.  Oh... and Yes... that is the old post information I was referring to...<Smile> It's people like you, that make this Community, Very Enjoyable and Helpful.

    Microsoft:    I Hope You Are Reading These Reply's And Have A Fix In The Works Soon!

    Thank-You...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-10-21T00:25:48+00:00

    [Please don't quote my posts in your replies, just answer-by-number. THX]

    So it's the same "new ASUS" asyou mentioned here, gotcha. I recognized your handle but...

    I'd stick with Win10 1703 for now if I were you. <wink>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-10-20T22:15:39+00:00

    Sorry Robear,

    1. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

        * It's a New Unit 5/*/17

    1. Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win10, or did you upgrade a Win7 computer or a Win8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Win10?

        * Came with Windows 10 Anniversary edition Preinstalled.

    1. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Acer; Lenovo; ASUS)?

         *****Asus ROG Strix, with Intel core i7-7700HQ (7th anniversary cpu ) @ 280GHZ. 16GB 2400 Ram. 64 bit OS

    1. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

         * Yes... It had McAfee Live Safe on it but I never set it up.     

    1. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool, the Norton Remove and Reinstalltool, and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

          * Yes... I used the McAfee Consumer Removal Tool From there official Web Site. 

    In Fact... it was you that helped me with this McAfee tool to completely remove all traces of the Antivirus Software from my previous HP Unit. Remember?... 😉 And after I removed all traces of this Antivirus program on this new Asus the First 1703 Creators Update went on with absolutely NO problems. I've been seeing other reply's posted here, and over on the Feedback Hub,  that suggests that there is a little glitch in the software. I also contacted the Asus Manufacture and they had me try some "Quick Fix" Generic answers. But they where of No Help. Have you heard of anything solid about fixing this Glitch?...

    Once Again Thank-You My Friend...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments