I cannot login after Windows 10 update, says "password is incorrect"

Anonymous
2017-12-13T19:03:00+00:00

After update on my desktop PC, my login password stopped working. I've already reset my password for my Microsoft accounts but none of the new passwords work  either. Not a CAPS lock problem.

Opted to reinstall Windows, removed all apps while keeping my files...NO HELP.. Still have same login problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-24T03:16:07+00:00

    I eventually talked to the 'windows support' people and they helped my uninstall and reinstall Windows.  It was a really long process but everything is fine now.  They were really helpful. I got the impression it was a common event.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-12T13:39:36+00:00

    Usually, keyboard error is a primary source of this problem. Besides the caps lock, there can be a num lock on. The keyboard could have hardware and configuration issues.

    Use the onscreen keyboard instead of the usual hardware. You can activate it by clicking on the Ease of Access icon on the login screen.   Ease of Access > Onscreen Keyboard is the way to go.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-03T13:49:09+00:00

    I have the same problem. I was having troubles with the computer, so reset my system. When I went to restart, I couldn't log back in - was getting a message saying the password was incorrect. I reset my password, and same thing. Did that three times. I can't force a restart because I don't see the Power/Restart button on the home screen. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't do anything. What now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-08T18:34:19+00:00

    sorry I misread your post you tried this. Can you login to Microsoft Account online with new password?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-18T06:00:00+00:00

    Has anybody had any luck with a solution to this annoying problem. I have been trying for two days and still nothing to help except using the computer as a boat anchor now..... sooooo over it, help please. 

    Hi, thanks to Greg Carmack https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/f809b40e-6005-48ef-981e-0280ae3f1c38 above, i did a clean Windows 10 install and all is good again (and way faster i might add).

    I had to do this route sice i could not log in, also did not have a power icon so  could not restart in safe mode, and the virtual keyboard did not work either.

    cheers, and good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments