Windows 10: Disable automatic connection of a wireless network

Anonymous
2016-03-01T00:23:10+00:00

I have a number of available networks in my area but I wish to connect automatically only to my secured Home network. The problem is that one of the unsecured building networks is checked to connect automatically. I have tried to uncheck the box but it always comes back as "connect automatically". I keep getting hundreds of notifications that "UD Tower Network requires attention"  that are making me slightly insane. How do I turn off the connect automatically button for this network? WIndows 10, 64 bit

Original Title: Connect Automatically Network

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-03-01T05:47:25+00:00

Hello Fred,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

You may follow the below steps to turn off the “connect automatically” option.

  1. Press Windows key + A to open action center and click on All Settings.
  2. Now select Network and Internet.
  3. In the left panel, select Wi-Fi.
  4. Now in the right panel, select the option Change Adapter Options.
  5. The Change Adapter Options will open the Network Connections. You will find the network connection to which your computer or tablet is connected.
  6. Double click on the wireless connection to open the Wi-Fi status. Go to Wireless Properties.
  7. Under Connection tab, find out “Connect automatically when this network is in range“. By default it is enabled. To disable it, uncheck the option and tap ok.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-22T04:19:50+00:00

    Hi MS, this is really bad/surprising/astonishing/saddening that all new unsecured wifi connections are attached to automatically in Windows 10 and there is no workaround. Please fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-05T13:11:43+00:00

    Your reply reads like you did not take the time to read the chain.

    Or, you think no one has tried that many times. Does that actually work for you,? Did you verify it before posting?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-14T08:18:30+00:00

    Dear Daniel,

    THANK YOU (yes, in block letters!). This is exactly the type of support MS should deliver and failed to offer. Shame on you MS!

    Before implementing this solution I will follow your safety advice. Next weekend I will have time to got rhough it and I hope that it will solve once and for all this problem!

    Again, thank you!

    Tommaso

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-06-10T14:43:12+00:00

    Has this been resolved. I have the same issue with my Windows 10 phone. I do not want to connect automatically and the check keeps returning.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments