Windows 10: Disable automatic connection of a wireless network

Anonymous
2016-03-01T00:23:10+00:00

I have a number of available networks in my area but I wish to connect automatically only to my secured Home network. The problem is that one of the unsecured building networks is checked to connect automatically. I have tried to uncheck the box but it always comes back as "connect automatically". I keep getting hundreds of notifications that "UD Tower Network requires attention"  that are making me slightly insane. How do I turn off the connect automatically button for this network? WIndows 10, 64 bit

Original Title: Connect Automatically Network

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-03-01T05:47:25+00:00

Hello Fred,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

You may follow the below steps to turn off the “connect automatically” option.

  1. Press Windows key + A to open action center and click on All Settings.
  2. Now select Network and Internet.
  3. In the left panel, select Wi-Fi.
  4. Now in the right panel, select the option Change Adapter Options.
  5. The Change Adapter Options will open the Network Connections. You will find the network connection to which your computer or tablet is connected.
  6. Double click on the wireless connection to open the Wi-Fi status. Go to Wireless Properties.
  7. Under Connection tab, find out “Connect automatically when this network is in range“. By default it is enabled. To disable it, uncheck the option and tap ok.

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-23T17:42:44+00:00

    I am having the exact same issue described by JoyceMcDonald0133.

    I want to:

    1. Permanently disable 'Connect Automatically' for all current found wifi networks, and
    2. Change the default behavior so that - by default - my device does not enable the 'Connect Automatically' option.

    How do I do those 2 things?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-30T22:01:27+00:00

    Good afternoon Mr.Kodi.

    I followed your instructions, but I still see quite a few networks available, and the "connect automatically" is still checked. Help please...

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-23T17:37:25+00:00

    I am experiencing the same issue. Every detected wifi network/signal in my vicinity is picked up and 'Connect Automatically' is checked by default for all. Whether I uncheck the 'Connect Automatically' for all of these unknown networks by clicking on the wifi icon in the task bar, or via Settings/Network & Internet/wifi settings screen the selection does not save. The very next time I view the list of wifi networks, 'Connect Automatically' is checked again for every wifi network in the list.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-07-23T08:47:17+00:00

    I am running Win10. My computer keeps on connecting to a Wi-Fi network even though I have unchecked the box 'Connect Automatically'. I have followed all the solutions proposed above by Deepak Kodi and Anup Karkal but to no avail. This Wi-Fi network is available at all times, but I want to control my access to the Internet; I don't want to connect automatically. I often need to work off-line and cannot afford the security risks to work while on-line. I cannot trust my connection manager any more, because my laptop connects to any and all unsecured Wi-Fi networks in range as soon as I boot up.

    I need the Wi-Fi connections to be active to connect to other devices in my network- it is not an option to turn it off.

    This automatic connection to unsecured Wi-Fi networks constitutes a huge security risk for me. I need full command of my connection manager and connections to networks. This started to happen after the Win10 Update I received on Thursday 2017-07-20. Please return control of my laptop to me. Microsoft and Silicone Valley has no business taking control of my machine away from me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments