CD drive stopped working on samsung laptop with windows 8.1

Anonymous
2015-02-21T15:20:41+00:00

I have a Samsung np350v5c laptop and have always been able to use the cd/dvd drive. I have been on windows 8.1 for a while but have noticed over the last month that the cd drive does not work anymore. If you enter a cd it doesn't recognise it, the d drive doesn't appear in windows explorer etc. From browsing this forum I found a solution in 2012 to change registry by adding

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

to cmd prompt which I did and rebooted. Initially the d drive reappeared, I left the laptop in sleep mode overnight but when I opened it up the d drive had disappeared again.

Under device manager it says the drive is ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB. I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, updating (says up to date)  but no joy.

My partner has the exact same laptop so I checked his and his cd drive isn't working either so it must be a conflict between with windows 8.1 and not a failing cd drive.

Does anyone have any new ideas please?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-06T22:44:28+00:00

    Version 9.3.0.1020 should have Windows 8 support but you could leave 9.3.0.1021 installed.

    Then install the following storage driver:

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23488/RAID-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-for-Intel-Desktop-Boards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-06T11:55:51+00:00

    Try installing drivers from the following link:

    http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/model/NP350V5C-T01HK

    Install the Windows 7 Chipset driver and then install the Windows 7 Intel Rapid Storage driver.

    Hi

    thanks for the advice. When I tried installing the windows 7 chipset I received a message that computer currently has newer software 9.3.0.1021 than one I'm trying to replace with 9.3.0.1020. Do I want to overwrite and  install older version?

    Not sure if this is because I'm on windows 8.1 and you asked me to install win7 or not but thought I'd better check that you want me to override this newer software with the older version?

    Many thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-06T00:09:32+00:00

    Try installing drivers from the following link:

    http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/model/NP350V5C-T01HK

    Install the Windows 7 Chipset driver and then install the Windows 7 Intel Rapid Storage driver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-04T15:14:15+00:00

    Try manually installing the following update for the storage driver (run SetupRST.exe) and see if it helps any:

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24293&lang=eng

    Hi

    I ran the driver but got this error message

    "The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error:

    This platform is not supported."

    Any ideas?

    thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-03-03T23:30:23+00:00

    Try manually installing the following update for the storage driver (run SetupRST.exe) and see if it helps any:

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24293&lang=eng

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments