CD drive stopped working on samsung laptop with windows 8.1

Anonymous
2015-02-21T15:20:41+00:00

I have a Samsung np350v5c laptop and have always been able to use the cd/dvd drive. I have been on windows 8.1 for a while but have noticed over the last month that the cd drive does not work anymore. If you enter a cd it doesn't recognise it, the d drive doesn't appear in windows explorer etc. From browsing this forum I found a solution in 2012 to change registry by adding

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

to cmd prompt which I did and rebooted. Initially the d drive reappeared, I left the laptop in sleep mode overnight but when I opened it up the d drive had disappeared again.

Under device manager it says the drive is ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB. I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, updating (says up to date)  but no joy.

My partner has the exact same laptop so I checked his and his cd drive isn't working either so it must be a conflict between with windows 8.1 and not a failing cd drive.

Does anyone have any new ideas please?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-21T15:14:36+00:00

    Hello,

    It seems that you have already check the issue on different aspects. It appears that the issue seems to be related to hardware then the software.

    I would suggest you to contact your system manufacturer to get hardware diagnostic done on your system.

    Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows issues. We will be happy to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-16T11:36:30+00:00

    Run this Microsoft fix it tool to fix the issue, designed specifically for this issue:

    http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/cd\_dvd\_drive\_problems

    cheers

    Many thanks for your suggestion. When I run the troubleshooter it tells me that it cannot detect the device so believes it is unplugged, which obviously it isn't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-16T00:34:01+00:00

    Run this Microsoft fix it tool to fix the issue, designed specifically for this issue:

    http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/cd\_dvd\_drive\_problems

    cheers

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-16T00:25:14+00:00

    You would have to contact Samsung support to see if there is any available BIOS update that may improve compatibility with Windows 8.

    Have you located a web page from Samsung for the computer which has drivers specific to Windows 8?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-03-14T17:43:52+00:00

    The cdrom service is stopped with an exit code of 31 (0x1f) which would indicate "A device attached to the system is not functioning".

    I would take that to be the cd drive itself and I still suspect the issue may be with the SATA controller driver.

    The drive may work OK with Windows 7 but not Windows 8.1.

    Have you checked for a BIOS update?

    Also, you may want to go ahead and try the Windows 7 Intel Rapid Storage driver available from Samsung and see if it works any better.

    Hi

    Frustrating then as both laptops were bought with windows 8 on them and cd drive worked fine for first 18 months so if now needs to work only with windows 7 driver does sound odd.

    How do I check for bios updates please?

    thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments