I get the reply 'you do not have permission'
CD drive stopped working on samsung laptop with windows 8.1
I have a Samsung np350v5c laptop and have always been able to use the cd/dvd drive. I have been on windows 8.1 for a while but have noticed over the last month that the cd drive does not work anymore. If you enter a cd it doesn't recognise it, the d drive doesn't appear in windows explorer etc. From browsing this forum I found a solution in 2012 to change registry by adding
reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
to cmd prompt which I did and rebooted. Initially the d drive reappeared, I left the laptop in sleep mode overnight but when I opened it up the d drive had disappeared again.
Under device manager it says the drive is ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB. I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, updating (says up to date) but no joy.
My partner has the exact same laptop so I checked his and his cd drive isn't working either so it must be a conflict between with windows 8.1 and not a failing cd drive.
Does anyone have any new ideas please?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2015-02-26T14:33:10+00:00 -
Anonymous
2015-02-26T01:51:26+00:00 A couple of things.
Can you restart the computer in Safe Mode and see if the drive works OK in Safe Mode.
Also, can you run the following utility from Intel and see if it picks up any driver updates such as an update for the SATA controller:
-
Anonymous
2015-02-25T15:54:17+00:00 However, when I try to save the Event file after the save as box appears another box appears asking about display information (can tick no display info or display in other languages, English). Regardless of which I click on this box a warning message then appears saying 'The system cannot find the file specified'.
Can you check if the following registry key exists?:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels*Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic*
If so, can you delete the Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic registry key.
Right-click Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic > Delete
Create a System Restore Point beforehand and restart the computer afterward.
There seems to be a bug in the update to Windows 8.1/Windows 2012 R2 that has affected some users. it's described in the following link:
http://www.iconicit.co.uk/blog/manageability-event-viewer-errors-windows-2012-r2-upgrade
Hi
Many thanks this solved the issue so I can create an event file for you also. Therefore, as requested I've saved the msinfo and event files to the following link. Hope this helps you resolve why my disk drive won't work any longer (link to files is below)??
Thanks again
-
Anonymous
2015-02-24T23:50:38+00:00 However, when I try to save the Event file after the save as box appears another box appears asking about display information (can tick no display info or display in other languages, English). Regardless of which I click on this box a warning message then appears saying 'The system cannot find the file specified'.
Can you check if the following registry key exists?:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels*Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic*
If so, can you delete the Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic registry key.
Right-click Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic > Delete
Create a System Restore Point beforehand and restart the computer afterward.
There seems to be a bug in the update to Windows 8.1/Windows 2012 R2 that has affected some users. it's described in the following link:
http://www.iconicit.co.uk/blog/manageability-event-viewer-errors-windows-2012-r2-upgrade
-
Anonymous
2015-02-24T17:22:30+00:00 Can you provide the following info on the computer which may help determine any issue:
Windows key + S > type msinfo32.exeand press "Enter" > File > Save > then save as an .nfo file
Then make the resulting .nfo file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.
Also, can you do the following:
Windows key + S > type eventvwr.exe and press "Enter" > expand "Custom Views" and then right-click "Administrative Events" > select "Save all events in Custom View As" and save as an .evtx file
Then make the resulting .evtx file available via a public folder on OneDrive or similar site.
Here's a couple of links on using OneDrive (SkyDrive):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/skydrive/add-photos-files-faq
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/onedrive/share-file-folder
Hi
I have saved the first file you requested. However, when I try to save the Event file after the save as box appears another box appears asking about display information (can tick no display info or display in other languages, English). Regardless of which I click on this box a warning message then appears saying 'The system cannot find the file specified'.
What am I doing wrong?
thanks