CD drive stopped working on samsung laptop with windows 8.1

Anonymous
2015-02-21T15:20:41+00:00

I have a Samsung np350v5c laptop and have always been able to use the cd/dvd drive. I have been on windows 8.1 for a while but have noticed over the last month that the cd drive does not work anymore. If you enter a cd it doesn't recognise it, the d drive doesn't appear in windows explorer etc. From browsing this forum I found a solution in 2012 to change registry by adding

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

to cmd prompt which I did and rebooted. Initially the d drive reappeared, I left the laptop in sleep mode overnight but when I opened it up the d drive had disappeared again.

Under device manager it says the drive is ST1000LM024_HN-M101MBB. I have tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, updating (says up to date)  but no joy.

My partner has the exact same laptop so I checked his and his cd drive isn't working either so it must be a conflict between with windows 8.1 and not a failing cd drive.

Does anyone have any new ideas please?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-24T14:56:09+00:00

    Hi

    Someone else posted their comment after my query and people seem to be kindly helping them out but I wondered if anyone had any ideas about my issue in the opening post and then my reply to the MVP's advice?

    Many thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-24T13:07:14+00:00

    Pinnacle is a program, not a driver.  What happens when you try to uninstall the driver for the optical drive?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-24T12:10:19+00:00

    Having uninstalled the driver (Pinnacle I presume you mean) I am still left with a corrupt cd driver.

    If you meant the cd driver then the cd-driver cannot be deleted without permission from God knows who.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-23T21:25:29+00:00

    What version of the Pinnacle program? 

    The driver can be uninstalled and reinstalled as opposed to updating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-02-23T21:00:32+00:00

    1.    Yes. This has occurred since reinstalling the system. It seems to occur after an automatic update of one of the folliwing : KB3013816, KB3000850 or KB3013769. One which failed to configure and had to be unloaded and I am in the process of updating them one at a time. Why does a Device driver failure not come up in your troubleshooters ?

    2.    Seeing as the problem has been reported within several makes and models of the dvd/cd drives and several motherboard types I dont see that the make and model numers of my two different systems can have a bearing on the case. The cd driver file becomes corrupted and cannot be replaced or overwitten because it is the latest version. The fact that one part of windows detects a problem and is not transmitted to another part of windows and that version number seems to be the only criteria for updating drivers, not whether they work or not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments