windows 8.1 won't go into sleep mode,

Anonymous
2013-10-28T15:21:29+00:00

Upgraded to windows 8.1 on my HP, since then it fails to go into sleep mode. I have had it set up for 20 mins, and never had this problem before. I have tried to change it to 25 mins. no change. Also stopped live update on windows 8 screen still no difference>

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-06T11:05:44+00:00

    After updating to 8.1 there appears to be some issue with the function Home Group/file sharing stopping my machine from auto sleeping.

    This worked for me.

    Disable IPV6 on the network adapter.

    Restart the machine.

    Re-enable IVP6 on the network adapter.

    My PC then auto sleeps and wakes OK until it is shutdown and restarted, which seems to reset it back to the"non sleep mode".

    IPV6 is a Home Group requirement, some people have found disconnecting their network card or leaving the Home Group has the same effect. This problem is all over the forums.

    Chalk up another one to boys from Redmond.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T17:15:18+00:00

    Hi,

    Another person reported that toggling the Homegroup off and on resolved their problem....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T16:28:44+00:00

    Lucky you.  I removed my homegroup entirely and yet the problem persists.  I am now sharing files between two PC's, one Win 8.1 and one Win 7 by the old school method of giving permissions for specific directories.  Yet the problem persists.  There's got to be somebody from microsoft out there who can provide some guidance.  This is an issue spanning many people with the common thread being the upgrade to Windows 8.1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T16:03:45+00:00

    Hi,

    I wasn't a member of a Homegroup, but still had the problem....

    After joining the Homegroup and then leaving, disabling, whatever, my sleep is working properly...

    I have read elsewhere that if all of the machines on the Homegroup are not configuerd the same, this issue will occur...

    The fix, as mention in another reply, was to remove all of the machines from the Homegroup, and restart them. I would imagine all at the same time if possible...

    I have made no changes to my router, adapter, or whatever, and the Sleep has been working properly for 2 days now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T15:53:47+00:00

    I didn't have this problem with either Windows 7 or Windows 8. No hardware changes. Only software change is a supposed UPGRADE to Windows 8.1.

    Anyone out there from Microsoft? 

    My situation is the exact same.  No hardware changes, only change is operating system upgrade from Windows 8.0 to 8.1.

    Microsoft -  Please respond

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments