Once again I must ask: How do you know what you claim to know? What is your authority for factual statements?
“I think one of the reasons you were having with 'inplace upgrade repair' is that you may have been using the wrong
CD. It seems what you have said, is that your windows was pre-installed (OEM). You cannot use any CD supplied if Windows was pre-installed.”
First, where did I even suggest I was using ANY CD? This process does not use a
CD but a DVD– a distinction with a difference-- apples and oranges. Still Microsoft says you are wrong. You appear to be parroting instructions that do not apply and that you have not actually vetted.
Second, where Windows is pre-installed no maker includes an installation
DVD (not a CD) installation disc. You appear to be referring to recovery DVD and not an installation disc.
I already said I said my computer came with no CDs and the only DVD I have is for “recovery” (created the first time the computer was booted) but
that is not an installation disc. Since you wrote I called Microsoft tech support which disagrees with you in several ways. For this process Microsoft tech support insists that any retail edition of Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit will suffice.
A critical Catch 22 (no one ever mentioned) is what Product Key must be used. Even if one use the
install disc from a new retail version of f Windowsit is critical to NOT use the product key on the box that came it. If you do so Microsoft tech support insists Windows
will totally fail to launch. All your time is for naught and you have dug yourself in deeper hole. This only makes matters worse. No matter where you get a new Windows 7 installation discMicrosoft tech support insists you never use the product key on that box or with that purchase but ONLY the product key on the bottom of your computer. A is a disastrously fatal fact no one ever mentioned.
Across the board instructions are incomplete and inaccurate and the person who proffers them never actually tried it – or they would know better. As to just this one nasty
“Catch 22" no one here ever mentioned it and one this “expert” you tell me to keep on reviewing never clarified it and that invites disaster. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC\_5eb9wTfk and that is the only video I may have mentioned. Microsoft
also says he is wrong about the necessity of removing SP 1.
See your first link:
http://www.askvg.com/direct-download-links-download-official-original-and-untouched-windows-7-iso-32-bit-and-64-bit/
Once again sloppy writers use cryptic terms without defining them. The link refers to Genuine Windows 7 RTM with SP1 ISO. See Wikipedia: RTM means very different things in various contexts. Where terms of art are not defined communication breaks down.
And once again there are distinctions with a real a difference here– apples and oranges. That article is all about creating a
bootable “recovery” disc. I created recovery discs when I got the computer.
Recovery disc are not installation disks. This procedure requires an installation disc not a recovery disc which is specifically contraindicated. Apples and oranges. This forum states it clearly: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html
- “You can only do a repair install with the same edition Windows 7 installation disc for the same edition of Windows 7 that you have installed. (But Microsoft Tech support disavows that also. As long as I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit it does mot matter.)
- You cannot use a OEM Windows 7 "Factory" Restore/Recovery type of installation disc that came with or created from a store bought computer to do a repair install with. These can only be used do a clean install instead.” That is exactly what I do not want
to do.
Nowhere does your link (yet another Rube Goldberg 'solution') suggest it applies to this process and can be used as an installation disc for an in-place repair but only creates a bootable "recovery" disc which is a very different thing. Apples and oranges.
Second, your second link is the same as your first. A distinction with NO difference that demonstrates lack of attention to detail or level of interest.
Third, your last link takes one to Windows USB/DVD Download Tool. I do not know it's relevance but this appears to be one more step in the Rube Goldberg nightmare.
Again, on these issues, the only video I mentioned is unclear or wrong so why on earth would I want to refer to instructions that are clearly inconsistent and wrong.
Finally you wrote “If you cannot get the correct CD you can download and burn it onto a CD and use that.” No! The necessary install disc can not fit on a CD but only a DVD (apples and oranges). You are telling people to do something that is factually impossible.
Once again the same very dangerous problem repeats itself. People who do not *know* what they claim to *know* and who just parrot incorrect instructions that do not apply and/or which they have not actually vetted and who then send the confused and unwary
down an even worse rabbit hole. Ergo they do not know what they claim to know but just repeat un-vetted hearsay. While mere hearsay (untrustworthy by definition) is bad enough hearsay upon hearsay (He said they said) is even more risky. This is not helpful
and only serves to confuse people and send the unwary down one more, even worse, rabbit hole. It is a road-map to disaster.