The restore did not complete successfully (Windows 7)

Anonymous
2014-03-11T18:41:14+00:00

I have a Windows 7 backup stored on a network drive. When I try to restore anything this is the error I get. Obviously the network path is fine or I wouldn't be able to open the backup and select files to restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T22:32:13+00:00

    John

    Acronis cannot restore your computer in your present situation.  For Acronis to work you need to use it whist windows in a good state, or should I say that  the way that Acronis works it that it takes an image of whatever you choses, usually a system image. You then can restore that image at a later date. Acronis is a good program but as you say you have to pay for it. Maybe you may be better trying Macrium Reflect free edition: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

    I think one of the reasons you were having with 'inplace upgrade repair' is that you may have been using the wrong CD. It seems what you have said, is that your windows was preinstalled (OEM).  You cannot use any CD supplied if Windows was pre-installed.  If you can borrow a Windows CD of the same description as to the windows you have, you could use that. If the CD does not have SP1 and the windows on you computer does have SP1 then you will need to uninstall the SP1 on your computer before doing the 'repair'.  Is there nobody that can help you.  If you cannot get the correct CD you can download and burn it onto a CD and use that.

    http://www.askvg.com/direct-download-links-download-official-original-and-untouched-windows-7-iso-32-bit-and-64-bit/

    http://www.askvg.com/direct-download-links-download-official-original-and-untouched-windows-7-iso-32-bit-and-64-bit/ 

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool 

    Please don't blame me if you cannot get it to work.  Watch that video a few times.

    Best of luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T22:06:53+00:00

    If you think the instructions are complete and consistent then you obviously have not read them or the differences  I spell out for you.  

    I think I'll just buy and install Acronis 2015, and to heck with Windows backup restore, not bother with it any more, and just rely on Acronis.  I am told that, even though Windows 7 system files will not complete a restore to a restore point, Acronis will totally obviate the need for Windows back-up restore.  Ergo I can live without it.  All this is too high a price to pay.  After all Acronis is only $50 and the cost and lost time with all this far exceeds that.

    If Windows & system files will not complete a restore to a restore point then live without Windows backup restore and go to a better program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T19:50:19+00:00

    I am sorry that you are unable to understand the instructions. All the instructions that I have posted are consistent with each other.  I suggest you leave well alone.

    Kind regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T19:16:08+00:00

    "Both those links are referring to the same procedure."  Okay then why are the so very different? Did you even read them? Which one should I trust when not even one gets me to square one: the install screen.

    See thisfor instance: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

    “You can only do a repair install with the same edition Windows 7 installation disc for the same edition of Windows 7 that you have installed.”

    Compare the next section in the same post:

    “You cannot use a OEM Windows 7 "Factory" Restore/Recovery type of installation disc that came with or created from a store bought computer to do a repair install with. These can only be used do a clean install instead.”

     No other set of instruction mentions this. WHO writes this stuff?    No discs came with my Gateway.  The only discs I have are those I was told to create the first time I booted it up. So what the heck CAN we use?

    “You can do a repair install on a factory OEM installation with the latest official Windows 7 with SP1 ISO file here:”

    Yet anotherset of instructions (See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC\_5eb9wTfk ) insists we must first uninstall SP 1.

    So far I have four sets of instructions for the same process called by different names, not one agrees with the other, and I can not get to the Install screen using ANY set of instructions so they are obviously incomplete.

    People at these forums should not pretend to know what they don't.  Unless you have actually done it (vetted instructions for accuracy) you should not just throw one set of instructions after a different set of contradictory and confusing instructions.  We can be here till doomsday with maybe this or perhaps that and it is not helpful.  I do not want a litany of guesses.  I want vetted knowledge.  

    Please. I only want to hear from people who KNOW and who have DONE what they advise.  I want experienced, proven, tested knowledge and not one poorly written and utterly contradictory set of instructions  after another.  Not even one of these (four so far) sets of instructions, if followed as written,  even gets us to square one!  The install screen.  Nice!

    The written communication skills of every one of these writers is rather abysmal.  Not one is totally consistent with the other.  No doubt the reason is that they just fake it, pretend to know what they don't, and just copy and paste untested theories to lead others down a garden path.  This is not only not helpful it is irresponsible.  Tested, proven, knowledge and vetted instruction  only please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T18:39:00+00:00

    Sorry but  7 pages of itty-bitty print out?  Who writes this stuff? Don't they realize we can not read it in process but need a READABLE hard copy to print? If I enlarge to scale I get lots of superimposed ads. Very poor page design.  AND the irrelevant imbedded videos there are VERY intrusive.  Absolutely maddening.  Print it out? Great. Seven pages of comments and 3 pages of instructions! WHO designs this stuff?!

    Moreover now I have a THIRD set of instructions quite different than all others.  “we recommend uninstalling any third-party security software such as firewalls or antivirus applications.”  Uninstall McAfee and reinstall it?  I'd rather be water-boarded!  It was a nightmare to begin with.

    “ You should also download and store all of the drivers that your system needs to function--especially the network controller (what's that?) , which tells your network adapter (what's that?)  how to access the Internet.  “

    Don't have a clue how to do that or where they are.  WHO writes this stuff?!

    “After backing up all of your drivers, clean out all of the temporary files and junk data that have accumulated in Windows 7 over the course of prolonged use.....”

    No other instructions mention this?

    “After running the Disk Cleanup utility, you should clean out a few folders manually. ..” More complicated instructions and no other instructions mention this either!

    “To begin the repair installation process, insert the installation media (What's that?) and run Setup (if it doesn't launch automatically). In the Setup window,”

    If I insert the Windows repair/boot disc I and never get to any set up window.  It just boots.  We supposed to do an F2, and F8, a F11? Who knows.

    “ If your Internet connection is working, you should probably choose to download the updates, but you can choose whichever option suits your fancy.”

    Whatever suits my fancy?!  And go on the internet and download files after I am told to uninstall my security software?  No way!

    Sorry but like ALL other instructions we can't even get to the install screen!

    And on and on and one it goes for page after page.  WHO writes this stuff?!  WHERE do they find these people.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments