The restore did not complete successfully (Windows 7)

Anonymous
2014-03-11T18:41:14+00:00

I have a Windows 7 backup stored on a network drive. When I try to restore anything this is the error I get. Obviously the network path is fine or I wouldn't be able to open the backup and select files to restore.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T08:50:28+00:00

    Here is another explanation of an 'inplace upgrade repair' from PC World:  http://www.pcworld.com/article/243190/how_to_repair_a_corrupt_windows_7_installation.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T08:41:03+00:00

    John

    I am not mixing apples and oranges. Both those links are referring to the same procedure.  The difference is that the Windows 7 forum link prepares the computer for the 'inplace upgrade repair' (to give the procedure its full name) in more detail to prevent things from going wrong.  There are no guarantees so if you are going to do it make sure you back up and have a full system image. 

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T00:03:53+00:00

    "To the answer of your question there is no such location/place where information saved on the computer when you restore the system to prior date."

    I believe you are wrong. See try looking for service as the source in the Event Log; see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/source.html , for example!!

    That from Heinz Tschabitscher at about.com. But I don't know how he got there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-02T23:50:00+00:00

    A few more details?  Such as? The Devil is always in the details

    But I fear people are not making distinctions with a difference and mixing apples with oranges?   One person advises on Repair Install Option to Fix Windows 7 while another suggests I  Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows.  Still another creates a hybrid term Repair Install Upgrade.

    Windows 7: Repair InstallLooks VERY complicated and comes with a litany of dire warnings and many troublesome questions.

    ConverselyIn-Place Upgrade on Windowsthat you refer to  Appears rather simple and comes with no such dire warnings.

    Question: Are these the same process.  If not then what is the difference?  And waht are the few more details you refer to.  The Devil is always in the details.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-12-02T23:21:20+00:00

    No. I think you are mixing apples and oranges. I think "in place upgrade" is one thing while "repair install" is quite another. . Your link is not for an In Place Upgrade(which appears rather simple) but a Repair Install which appears very complicated and comes with a litany of dire WARNINGS! 

    Can someone please check these links and tell is if these are two very different operations.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments