Chrome and Firefox browsers not compatible with Windows 8.1 update

Anonymous
2013-10-18T17:15:32+00:00

I have just installed the new windows 8.1 update today (18th October) and found that both chrome and firefox do not work. (I had the latest versions installed which worked fine with windows 8.) I've even tried installing chrome 4.1 beta and the "unstable" chrome 5... I've made sure that they (chrome and firefox) are 'allowed' through the firewall, but still can't get them to work. Both web browsers open and look like they're working, but when I try to open a website chrome says it can't connect to the internet and firefox just remains on the start page. I know my internet works fine as internet explorer works and so does the app store. Any help on this would be appreciated! Thank you

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-18T17:52:13+00:00

There's a solution by ianself on mozilla's support forum and it worked for me! It fixed both my chrome and firefox browsers.

  1. Type "cmd.exe" into Search and then right-click on Command Prompt****to select 'Run as administrator'
  2. Type "netsh winsock reset" into Command Prompt, and then press Enter
  3. Restart PC

 source: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/974612#answer-491242

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-08T01:52:41+00:00

    Tried this but still does not work may be just another thing Microsoft will not let work on this Surface is turning out to be a big waste of time and money

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-08T01:47:11+00:00

    they also screwed up Kobo Desktop it will now not work on Window 8 or 8.1 tablets I no longer have access to a few hundred dollars worth of books. But at least I  can now fix Firefox with this (I hope)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-24T20:34:17+00:00

    It is not just Chrome and Firefox. The Matlab 2013a help window is completely messed up after the update.

    I don't know what exactly Microsoft was thinking when pushing Win 8.1 as a 'fix' for Win 8, but so far it has been a total disaster for me...

    I am really glad that baldy is leaving the company, hopefully they will find some one who can get things done properly in his place.

    Internet Explorer doesn't seem to work either haha...mine keeps crashing and it's on a brand new computer (one month old). sheesh

    I'm having the same issue. "Internet Explorer not responding".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-23T02:14:40+00:00

    It is not just Chrome and Firefox. The Matlab 2013a help window is completely messed up after the update.

    I don't know what exactly Microsoft was thinking when pushing Win 8.1 as a 'fix' for Win 8, but so far it has been a total disaster for me...

    I am really glad that baldy is leaving the company, hopefully they will find some one who can get things done properly in his place.

    Internet Explorer doesn't seem to work either haha...mine keeps crashing and it's on a brand new computer (one month old). sheesh

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments