Try to disable Windows Search service. It solved the SkyDrive high CPU usage problem on my computer for about one month and the problem never happens again. See my post in this discussion thread on April 13 for details.
SkyDrive Sync Engine Host
So far the update to Windows 8.1 has gone very well. I have, however, noticed an issue on ONE of my PCs that's been updated.
The SkyDrive Sync Engine Host process in Task Manager is constantly consuming 12 - 15% of the CPU. Now all of my files that I've chosen to sync have already synced properly. The 'Size' and 'Size on Disk' match for all of the folders I've marked to sync offline.
I've rebooted the PC and, upon restart, the process goes right back in to its CPU consumption.
I will note, that even though the CPU consumption is up, the Network Utilization is not. So it can't be constantly downloading or uploading anything since it's not using the network.
Any ideas as to why this is happening and how I can fix it?
Thanks in advance.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-05-10T06:56:02+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-05-10T06:46:43+00:00 After hours of searching etc. I found the fix or at least for me.
Go to your "Task Manager" and close both SkyDrive services.
Next, go to Windows Explorer and navigate to:
C:\Users%USER%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\SkyDrive
Delete the "SkyDrive" folder after backing up your SkyDrive date elsewhere. (just encase. This is just a settings folder but any corrupted files will go missing after this.
Do this t all computers using the same account. Takes a few minutes or so depending on your account size. It will start with nothing then quickly fill in with all your files from the cloud.
Note: %USER% is replaced with your windows login; you will recognize I when you get to the user folder area i.e. C:\Users\
Hope this helps. :)
Guys.. this is the answer... it works for me..
Sure. It worked for me too. However, the problem re-appeared over time. ):
-
Anonymous
2014-04-20T02:13:10+00:00 RACoutu's method had solved the high CPU usage of SkyDrive.exe occurred on my Windws 8.1 Update 1 computer. Unfortunately, today, the high CPU usage problem occurred on my computer again.
Today, I tried to find another workaround. One possible workaround is that: in this discussion thread and in my experience, SkyDrive.exe and Windows Search usually had high CPU usages at the same time. So I guess the high CPU usage problem came from them. So I decided to turn off Windows Search. These are the steps:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services\Windows Search\Startup type\Disabled
Then, reboot the computer. After the rebooting, the SkyDrive high CPU usage problem seems to be solved. I will continue inspecting this problem for one week. If, after one week, the problem does not occur anymore, I will say.
After a week, I confirm that turning off Windows Search service solved the high CPU usage problem of SkyDrive Sync Engine Host (SkyDrive.exe)!
-
Anonymous
2014-04-13T08:44:11+00:00 RACoutu's method had solved the high CPU usage of SkyDrive.exe occurred on my Windws 8.1 Update 1 computer. Unfortunately, today, the high CPU usage problem occurred on my computer again.
Today, I tried to find another workaround. One possible workaround is that: in this discussion thread and in my experience, SkyDrive.exe and Windows Search usually had high CPU usages at the same time. So I guess the high CPU usage problem came from them. So I decided to turn off Windows Search. These are the steps:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services\Windows Search\Startup type\Disabled
Then, reboot the computer. After the rebooting, the SkyDrive high CPU usage problem seems to be solved. I will continue inspecting this problem for one week. If, after one week, the problem does not occur anymore, I will say.
-
Anonymous
2014-04-10T13:35:58+00:00 I upgraded three Windows 8 computers to Windows 8.1. One computer of three has the SkyDrive Sync Engine Host high CPU usage problem. Later, I upgraded those Windows 8.1 computers to Windows 8.1 Update 1. The one computer still has the problem.
Thanks for RACoutu's method. Finally, my SkyDrive/OneDrive tray icon doesn't flicker continuously on one of my computers.
In fact, I used RACoutu's method and failed several times. Maybe I didn't follow the steps exactly that times.
I remember something about my final successful try:
- Perform RACoutu's method. Notice, please end all OneDrive processes by Task Manager before delete the OneDrive setting folder. Then, rebooting computer at this time could be useful.
- I moved my OneDrive location by: File Explorer/left pane/right click OneDrive/Properties/Location/Move...
The original location of my OneDrive is D:\OneDrive.
I moved it to D:\a\OneDrive.
And then I moved it back to D:\OneDrive.
The flicker problem is solved for my computer.
Good luck.