SkyDrive Sync Engine Host

Anonymous
2013-10-19T14:50:56+00:00

So far the update to Windows 8.1 has gone very well. I have, however, noticed an issue on ONE of my PCs that's been updated.

The SkyDrive Sync Engine Host process in Task Manager is constantly consuming 12 - 15% of the CPU. Now all of my files that I've chosen to sync have already synced properly. The 'Size' and 'Size on Disk' match for all of the folders I've marked to sync offline.

I've rebooted the PC and, upon restart, the process goes right back in to its CPU consumption.

I will note, that even though the CPU consumption is up, the Network Utilization is not. So it can't be constantly downloading or uploading anything since it's not using the network.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-26T15:40:20+00:00

    Coincidentally, I just found this going on, again. I noticed it because my bluetooth keyboard was stuttering and missing keystrokes. task manager is showing 100% ongoing and as usual, OneDrive sync and Windows search indexer are at the top of the pile.

    Pausing the OneDrive sync returns everything to normal levels.  I am rerunning the troubleshooter but have only had it stop this impact 1 time of the last 5 times I have used it.  Even a reboot does not fix this and it returns once the system is rebooted and back to normal idling tasks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-26T13:12:36+00:00

    My problem is the OneDrive sync service is crippling our network.  If we run a pingtest.net we get an F rating but as soon as I stop the skydrive.exe service it reverts to an A rating and the network is noticeably faster again.  In the resource monitor on my Surface Pro 3, skydrive.exe shows it's constantly sending around 95,000 Byets/second upload.  After running the diagnostic tool this drops to around 1,500 B/sec which is more like the level everything else runs at but within an hour or so its back up again, the same if I reboot the machine.  All the files should already be synched, the skydrive account has been in existence for around 2 years and I only occasionally update a Word or Excel file but no big updates to do.  This is not a problem on my Win 7 laptop, just on the Surface.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-30T22:55:24+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-05T00:04:39+00:00

    I was getting ~22% CPU utilisation on a Surface Pro 2. RACaoutu's fix did the trick with the following differences:

    • Only had to kill the one offending OneDrive process, no second process
    • The folder in the AppData/Local area to delete is now called OneDrive.

    Also, before I did the above, I ran the troubleshooter as described elsewhere to Reset OneDrive. That just cranked the CPU utilisation up to 50%+ and sat there in its "maintenance check" screen for 15 minutes. So the troubleshooter has not been upgraded with smarts to fix this particular problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments