Remote desktop connection. An internal error has occurred.

Anonymous
2014-02-25T17:53:26+00:00

Hello,

The error occurs on a Windows 7 Home computer.

I connect successfully through a Sonic Wall VPN client.

I can ping the IP address of the remote computer.

I run remote desktop (using IP address of the remote computer) and get error:

"Remote desktop connection.  An internal error has occurred."

It used to work flawlessly and all of a sudden quit working.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-28T19:05:56+00:00

To resolve this issue, I performed the following actions:

Open RDP

Enter the IP address of the remote computer

Click Show Options

Click Experience

Uncheck Reconnect if the connection is dropped

Click Connect

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-27T12:26:19+00:00

Please close the case.

I fixed it.

It was a VPN configuration problem on the Sonic Wall.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-12-01T12:23:58+00:00

    Not Working

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-07T08:24:07+00:00

    thank you. finally a simple solution to a problem that just suddenly happened. i dont have a fancy setup just a standalone home computer. it worked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-06T07:13:21+00:00

    Sorry,

    That did not fix my problem.

    Those were just general links about remote desktop that I read, but did not help.

    No significant changes were made to the computer prior to this issue.

    Please solve my specific problem:

    "Remote desktop connection.  An internal error has occurred."

    I also get error:

    "Remote desktop connection.  This computer can't connect to the remote computer."

    Please advise.

    I had similar issue and resolve this issue, I performed the following actions:

     Open the command prompt with administrator rights and enter same as below;

    netsh winsock reset all

    If above command not resolving the issue, go to user local profile and clear the Terminal server client cache.

    Local Profile path: c:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client

    Let me know whether its helpful or not.

    Thank You.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments