Windows host process (Rundll32) high CPU usage

Anonymous
2013-11-09T05:32:25+00:00

Most of the time, the rundll.exe process uses consistently above 80% CPU usage. It slows down everything considerably. It also appears that this process gets executed indefinitely slowing down the whole system all the time it runs. It can be killed safely, but then it runs again after sometime and the slow down continues.

I run Windows 8.1 64 bit. Toggling the 'command line' view option in the task manager reveals the following:-

rundll32.exe aeinv.dll,UpdateSoftwareInventory

How do I fix this annoying issue?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-11-19T23:46:59+00:00

Hello, I was having the same issues with rundll32.exe using a lot of my CPU usage. Here is what was causing my issues.

Step One: I downloaded Process Explorer. This is an excellent tool. It is similar to Task Manager but goes into way more depth on the processes and dlls that are running. I extracted the download and then ran Process Explorer as an administrator.

Step Two: One of the first things I noticed was rundll32.exe was using 23 percent of my CPU again. 

I right-clicked on the rundll32.exe process and selected properties. I clicked on the Image tab and at once saw the culprit. A utility to monitor and gauge my battery usage, called PwrMgrBkGndMonitor, was draining my battery instead of saving it.

**Step Three:**After a little digging around in my installed programs I located a program called Lenovo Settings Dependency Package. PwrMgrBkGndMonitor was installed in the Lenovo Settings Dependency Package.

I didn’t use this program and decided I didn’t need it. I uninstalled the program and restarted my laptop. I haven’t had a problem with the rundll32.exe using up my CPU since I uninstalled Lenovo Settings Dependency Package.

If you are experiencing the same symptoms has stated above and you are running a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1, this may be your issue. However, before you uninstall the program I would recommend using Process Explorer. Process Explorer will help you determine the exact program that is giving you issues before blindly uninstalling and killing services. I hope my troubleshooting steps can help you find program is making rundll32.exe use high CPU usage. Let me know in the comments if this helped you!

(removed by FM)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-07T21:14:37+00:00

    Same issue here with a 20% CPU load all the time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-29T19:21:14+00:00

    Same issue here, it's also very annoying as I got an OC processor and thus it's pushing the core temps....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-06T15:12:56+00:00

    hi, 

    i installed windows8.1 today , and within a day rundll32.exe started eating all cpu.

    after seeing in command line view throough task manager it was running like this:

    rundll32.exe aeinv.dll, updatesoftwareinventory.

    i believe there should be no malware problem.

    but i updated my windows , could that make this happen. i don't think.

    what should i try.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-21T17:33:17+00:00

    I have had the same problem.  I have found another thread about it but it is in german....http://www.rokop-security.de/index.php?showtopic=23350

    It seems like the problem is the result of upgrading to Windows 8.1.

    Any fixes yet? Having the CPU run constantly at 70% is getting really bothersome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments