Windows host process (Rundll32) high CPU usage

Anonymous
2013-11-09T05:32:25+00:00

Most of the time, the rundll.exe process uses consistently above 80% CPU usage. It slows down everything considerably. It also appears that this process gets executed indefinitely slowing down the whole system all the time it runs. It can be killed safely, but then it runs again after sometime and the slow down continues.

I run Windows 8.1 64 bit. Toggling the 'command line' view option in the task manager reveals the following:-

rundll32.exe aeinv.dll,UpdateSoftwareInventory

How do I fix this annoying issue?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-11-19T23:46:59+00:00

Hello, I was having the same issues with rundll32.exe using a lot of my CPU usage. Here is what was causing my issues.

Step One: I downloaded Process Explorer. This is an excellent tool. It is similar to Task Manager but goes into way more depth on the processes and dlls that are running. I extracted the download and then ran Process Explorer as an administrator.

Step Two: One of the first things I noticed was rundll32.exe was using 23 percent of my CPU again. 

I right-clicked on the rundll32.exe process and selected properties. I clicked on the Image tab and at once saw the culprit. A utility to monitor and gauge my battery usage, called PwrMgrBkGndMonitor, was draining my battery instead of saving it.

**Step Three:**After a little digging around in my installed programs I located a program called Lenovo Settings Dependency Package. PwrMgrBkGndMonitor was installed in the Lenovo Settings Dependency Package.

I didn’t use this program and decided I didn’t need it. I uninstalled the program and restarted my laptop. I haven’t had a problem with the rundll32.exe using up my CPU since I uninstalled Lenovo Settings Dependency Package.

If you are experiencing the same symptoms has stated above and you are running a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1, this may be your issue. However, before you uninstall the program I would recommend using Process Explorer. Process Explorer will help you determine the exact program that is giving you issues before blindly uninstalling and killing services. I hope my troubleshooting steps can help you find program is making rundll32.exe use high CPU usage. Let me know in the comments if this helped you!

(removed by FM)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-24T12:41:47+00:00

    Nice to hear but how did you move the file outside the folder? I have admin rights but it doestn work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-24T12:12:16+00:00

    Did the same a couple of days ago and it seems to work fine. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-15T16:10:01+00:00

    I cant find a fix anywhere. Every day the same shi* always loads 20% CPU nonstop. If you kill the process it sometimes starts within minutes again, or it takes a few hours.

    I guess I will go back to W7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-13T09:28:23+00:00

    I also get this. I reported the same here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8\_1-performance/aeinvdll-hangs/559071a4-9a9e-4f1a-87bf-26200e3d73e3

    and got some answers from a Microsoft support guy, but since none of the suggestions helped I guess he gave up. And I have no idea how to stop this thing from starting. Tried a bunch of things, but it still keeps starting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments