Windows host process (Rundll32) high CPU usage

Anonymous
2013-11-09T05:32:25+00:00

Most of the time, the rundll.exe process uses consistently above 80% CPU usage. It slows down everything considerably. It also appears that this process gets executed indefinitely slowing down the whole system all the time it runs. It can be killed safely, but then it runs again after sometime and the slow down continues.

I run Windows 8.1 64 bit. Toggling the 'command line' view option in the task manager reveals the following:-

rundll32.exe aeinv.dll,UpdateSoftwareInventory

How do I fix this annoying issue?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-11-19T23:46:59+00:00

Hello, I was having the same issues with rundll32.exe using a lot of my CPU usage. Here is what was causing my issues.

Step One: I downloaded Process Explorer. This is an excellent tool. It is similar to Task Manager but goes into way more depth on the processes and dlls that are running. I extracted the download and then ran Process Explorer as an administrator.

Step Two: One of the first things I noticed was rundll32.exe was using 23 percent of my CPU again. 

I right-clicked on the rundll32.exe process and selected properties. I clicked on the Image tab and at once saw the culprit. A utility to monitor and gauge my battery usage, called PwrMgrBkGndMonitor, was draining my battery instead of saving it.

**Step Three:**After a little digging around in my installed programs I located a program called Lenovo Settings Dependency Package. PwrMgrBkGndMonitor was installed in the Lenovo Settings Dependency Package.

I didn’t use this program and decided I didn’t need it. I uninstalled the program and restarted my laptop. I haven’t had a problem with the rundll32.exe using up my CPU since I uninstalled Lenovo Settings Dependency Package.

If you are experiencing the same symptoms has stated above and you are running a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.1, this may be your issue. However, before you uninstall the program I would recommend using Process Explorer. Process Explorer will help you determine the exact program that is giving you issues before blindly uninstalling and killing services. I hope my troubleshooting steps can help you find program is making rundll32.exe use high CPU usage. Let me know in the comments if this helped you!

(removed by FM)

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-10-09T10:54:53+00:00

    Finally found a proper solution. "rundll32.exe aeinv.dll,UpdateSoftwareInventory" occurs when the Application Experience Inventory Collector is collecting data about the installed programs, devices, and drivers and sending this information to Microsoft. You can disable this behavior by following the steps below:

    1. Windows Key + R -> Enter gpedit.msc -> Hit the Enter Key.
    2. On the left pane, navigate: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility.
    3. Right-click Turn off Inventory Collector -> Edit.
    4. Around the top-left of the window that just appeared, select Enabled, then click OK at the bottom.
    5. Done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-15T15:57:44+00:00

    I was able to fix this, but this method isn't without any risk.

    I just moved the "aienv.dll" out of the Win32 directory and stored it in a safe place.

    No more problems since then.. But still, on your own risk

    This seems to work for me, so thanks! I was getting spikes in cpu about every 5 minutes that was causing static on my sound card. I needed to download a program I found called Take Control to get admin rights of the aienv.dll file. I found mention of Take Control here http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13145-rel-take-control-b2/.

    I will report back if this fix was just temporary or illusory.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-02-15T14:23:20+00:00

    It's not rundll32.exe that hangs, it's aeinv.dll.

    The aeinv.dll file is located in c:\Windows\system32

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-13T18:08:27+00:00

    rundll32.exe is associated with several keylogger viruses.  If you're using Norton or McAfee antivirus they will not be able to help you with this problem.  You should create a Linux Live USB, boot your machine into Linux using the USB, and scan the drive with ClamAV Antivirus software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments