It seems to be a known bug with Windows 8.1 although not all users have it. Hope someone from Microsoft acknowledges this is a bug and fix it. That is, if they're able to reproduce it.
Shortcut arrow icons gone after Windows 8.1
Hey all,
I know it's something minor but ever since I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 I noticed that the little shortcut arrow icons that appear on shortcuts are gone. They appear again only if I hover my mouse over the shortcuts or if I refresh the desktop or folder where the shortcuts are in. However, after a reboot the issue comes up again and I have to redo the mentioned actions.
Things I have tried:
- I did a SFC/ scannow and it didn't find any integrity violations.
- I have tried 3 different nvidia WHQL drivers without any result.
- A reformat also didn't fix the issue.
My specs:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64x with Media Centre (Update 1 installed along with all latest updates)
i5 3570K CPU
nVidia GTX 660Ti with 335.23 WHQL driver (not OC'ed)
8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-06-12T14:08:56+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-06-08T00:20:14+00:00 Im having the same annoying issue on both my laptop and computer.Microsoft better fix this soon cause it has been happening since upgrading to 8.1. :/
-
Anonymous
2014-05-28T07:23:19+00:00 Same issue here... Shortcut icons shown at icon properties dialog, but not in desktop. See attached image:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27828517/snap003.jpg
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
OS Version: 6.3.9600 N/A Build 9600
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. UX32VD.214, 2013.01.29.
My installed updates:
-
Anonymous
2014-05-13T06:18:47+00:00 Hi Johnny,
I tried to reproduce the issue on Windows 8.1 with latest update installed, the desktop icons are working fine. Did you check if you can reproduce the issue on another Windows 8.1 computer?
This issue could also occur if shell32.dll is corrupted. Let's re-register it and check if it resolves the issue.
- Press Windows key + X
- Click on Command prompt(Admin)
- Type regsvr32 shell32.dll and press enter.
- Restart the computer and check.
Hope this helps.
-
Anonymous
2014-05-10T18:00:51+00:00 Rebuilding the icon cache didn't help.
I already stated that I tried sfc/ scannow but it didn't find any integrity violations.
It seems to be a Windows 8.1 bug since I found 5 threads (each with >1 users) reporting the same problem. Maybe if you could try to reproduce the bug by following the steps I mentioned? (see post of April 29, 2014)