Shortcut arrow icons gone after Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2014-04-26T20:52:31+00:00

Hey all,

I know it's something minor but ever since I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 I noticed that the little shortcut arrow icons that appear on shortcuts are gone. They appear again only if I hover my mouse over the shortcuts or if I refresh the desktop or folder where the shortcuts are in. However, after a reboot the issue comes up again and I have to redo the mentioned actions.

Things I have tried:

  1. I did a SFC/ scannow and it didn't find any integrity violations.
  2. I have tried 3 different nvidia WHQL drivers without any result.
  3. A reformat also didn't fix the issue.

My specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro 64x with Media Centre (Update 1 installed along with all latest updates)

i5 3570K CPU

nVidia GTX 660Ti with 335.23 WHQL driver (not OC'ed)

8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-06T11:27:26+00:00

    Just wanted to report that my issue still isn't fixed since I got a reminder email about this question.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-02T14:19:38+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-29T09:05:12+00:00

    Hi Johnny,

    I tried to reproduce the issue, but the desktop icons are working fine in my computer. So we will try some more steps.

    Let’s start your computer in safe mode and check the functionality. Safe mode is diagnostic method in which basic display drivers will load when you start the computer. This will help us to find if graphics

    card drivers are causing issues.

    Refer this link to start the computer in safe mode.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-28T12:41:14+00:00

    Hi Johnny,

    Thank you for the update.

    In order to make sure if the issue is not with the corrupt user profile, please login to the different user account and check if the issue persists there. If you don't have different user account, let's create a new user account.

    Refer to the suggestions from this link:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

    Please reply and update us the status.

    I just created a new account and it didn't fix the issue. I think it's a bug that came with Win 8.1 since others also have this. 

    Aren't you able to reproduce this? Try my steps in my previous post please (go to the Desktop immediately after reboot and/or open a folder on the Desktop that contains shortcuts).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-28T10:54:01+00:00

    Hi Johnny,

    Thank you for the update.

    In order to make sure if the issue is not with the corrupt user profile, please login to the different user account and check if the issue persists there. If you don't have different user account, let's create a new user account.

    Refer to the suggestions from this link:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

    Please reply and update us the status.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments