Windows 8.1 - apps close immediately after opening

Anonymous
2013-11-12T21:25:01+00:00

None of the Windows 8 apps will fully load.

After clicking on an app, the loading screen appears for about a second, and then it goes back to the (metro) menu.

I can still see these apps as open on the left-side bar.

This happened after the installation of 50 windows updates.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-26T05:44:17+00:00

    No joy for me.  The symptoms remain as described above.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-26T01:20:07+00:00

    Hi Henk,

    Install the following update and check.

    Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 update rollup: January 2014

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2911106/en-us

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-25T20:42:47+00:00

    WHAT THE ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I have exact the same problem again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-29T11:37:24+00:00

    I gave up...

    I did a complete re-install to fix it.

    I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED BECAUSE I DON'T CONSIDER THIS A SOLUTION AT ALL.

    I HOPE I DON'T GET THE SAME PROBLEM AGAIN NOW.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-29T04:38:06+00:00

    I am dealing with the same problem.  I suspect the root cause was IOBIT Advanced System Care, because the problem occurred on my laptop as well.  I RESTORED the laptop, and that is working normally.  My main computer is an HP Pavilion Elite.  I mostly work in standard mode, so I did not notice the Metro tiles stopped working until I attempted to open STORE.  When I did, the screen turned green, the STORE icon appeared momentarily, and then the standard desktop screen returned.

    I ran the following commands as Administrator in Command Prompt:

    1.        Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    2.       SFC /SCANNOW

    3.       powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML

    The response from the first command was that a corrupted file was identified and fixed.  The second command completed without an error message and the third simply executed without providing any response.

    I also checked the registry to ensure that SYSTEM owned: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages"

    I then ran the Microsoft Windows Store Apps tool and received a pop-up stating the display adapter drivers might be out of date.  (I updated the driver from Device Manager, rand the Apps Tool again, and received the same notice.)

    The Windows Store Apps tool reported back:  Problems Found

        Check for missing or corrupt files   - Detected

        Display adapter drivers may be out of date   - Detected

        Service registration is missing or corrupt  - Fixed

    I ran the tool again and received the same error.  

    None of these steps corrected the problem.  I would appreciate help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments