Windows 8.1 - apps close immediately after opening

Anonymous
2013-11-12T21:25:01+00:00

None of the Windows 8 apps will fully load.

After clicking on an app, the loading screen appears for about a second, and then it goes back to the (metro) menu.

I can still see these apps as open on the left-side bar.

This happened after the installation of 50 windows updates.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-28T12:16:47+00:00

    Ran into this issue yesterday- Surface Pro Win 8.1 .  Just !amazing! how fragile the plumbing is.

    Behaviour :

      Account connected to MsLive  - none of the metro apps worked ( including store and settings)

      Local account - all apps worked.  Had to run behind a lot of red herrings.

    Fix: Here is what I did

       1.  re-registering  system apps (  Store , etc) http://blogs.msdn.com/b/notime/archive/2013/10/21/10458031.aspx

         2. uninstall and  re installing apps

         I am sure there is a better option to recover by restoring older files - but I am not sure if it would have fixed this particular issue.

      

    Seq of events  :

    1. few Windows updates  :

             Hardware Update - ‎12/‎10/‎2013 ,( Again !!! )

             Microsoft - Keyboard - Surface Touch\type Cover Filter Device

    1. Failed resume from hibernate ( old problem no solution yet! - may not be related)

    3.  ERROR   Kernel-General 5 , 15

    {Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '?? \C:\Users\Ravi\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

    Hive ??\C:\Users\Ravi\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat was reorganized with a starting size of 8908800 bytes and an ending size of 8519680 bytes.

    1. ERROR :   Apps 5973 ( for all  Metro apps!!!!)

    Activation of app 4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8!App failed with error: This app does not support the contract specified or is not installed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

    didn't work for me...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-26T22:50:47+00:00

    I gave up completely in the end, created a new user, transferred everything over data wise and then deleted old user.  Worked but a real pain to do.  Completely unimpressed with windows over this one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-26T02:46:57+00:00

    Ran into this issue yesterday- Surface Pro Win 8.1 .  Just !amazing! how fragile the plumbing is.

    Behaviour :

      Account connected to MsLive  - none of the metro apps worked ( including store and settings)

      Local account - all apps worked.  Had to run behind a lot of red herrings.

    Fix: Here is what I did

       1.  re-registering  system apps (  Store , etc) http://blogs.msdn.com/b/notime/archive/2013/10/21/10458031.aspx

         2. uninstall and  re installing apps

         I am sure there is a better option to recover by restoring older files - but I am not sure if it would have fixed this particular issue.

    Seq of events  :

    1. few Windows updates  :

             Hardware Update - ‎12/‎10/‎2013 ,( Again !!! )

             Microsoft - Keyboard - Surface Touch\type Cover Filter Device

    1. Failed resume from hibernate ( old problem no solution yet! - may not be related)

    3.  ERROR   Kernel-General 5 , 15

    {Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '?? \C:\Users\Ravi\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost.

    Hive ??\C:\Users\Ravi\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat was reorganized with a starting size of 8908800 bytes and an ending size of 8519680 bytes.

    1. ERROR :   Apps 5973 ( for all  Metro apps!!!!)

    Activation of app 4DF9E0F8.Netflix_mcm4njqhnhss8!App failed with error: This app does not support the contract specified or is not installed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-09T21:50:39+00:00

    Now, when I run the Microsoft account troubleshooter, it says "No rootcauses found and created logs"

    What does this mean?

    When I run the app troubleshooter, it says my video drivers are possibly outdated => this is impossible because I just installed the latest drivers from the Nvidea website.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-02T18:54:36+00:00

    ......

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments