The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load

Anonymous
2013-10-26T20:07:29+00:00

We'll start with this Event FIRST:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP

Date:          10/26/13 1:03:18 PM

Event ID:      219

Task Category: (212)

Level:         Warning

Keywords:     

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      Michael-HP

Description:

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />

    <EventID>219</EventID>

    <Version>0</Version>

    <Level>3</Level>

    <Task>212</Task>

    <Opcode>0</Opcode>

    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-26T17:03:18.207832500Z" />

    <EventRecordID>42592</EventRecordID>

    <Correlation />

    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="208" />

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>Michael-HP</Computer>

    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data Name="DriverNameLength">124</Data>

    <Data Name="DriverName">SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}</Data>

    <Data Name="Status">3221226341</Data>

    <Data Name="FailureNameLength">14</Data>

    <Data Name="FailureName">\Driver\WudfRd</Data>

    <Data Name="Version">0</Data>

  </EventData>

</Event>

I'm guessing this is related to Event ID 11 (below) which shows up for 4 items DR1 through DR 4. .

Log Name:      System

Source:        disk

Date:          10/26/13 1:22:46 PM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Michael-HP

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="disk" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-26T17:22:46.417018600Z" />

    <EventRecordID>42601</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>Michael-HP</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Harddisk2\DR2</Data>

    <Binary>0F00800001000000000000000B0004C00301000000000000000000001600000000000000000000000B29010000000000FFFFFFFF06000000580000050000000000000A122809080000000000140000000000000000000000803A110200E0FFFF0000000000000000E053B70100E0FFFF0000000000000000000000000000000035000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

These show up on Device Manager as:

Disk Drives: as Generic USB SD Reader, CF Reader, xD/SM Reader and MS REader

and under

Portable Devices as E:\ through H:\

Device Status shows as Device Working Properly

Before you ask: earlier today I ran

sfc /scannow

Dism/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth

full scan Windows Defender

full scan Malwarebytes

NO new hardware or software since Windows 8.1 upgrade

all Windows Updates

Any help would be appreciated as I slowly go through the MULTIPLE Event Logs caused by my recent UPGRADE to Windows 8.1


Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-23T10:38:23+00:00

    I was having the same error until I've realized that I had windows update pending to install, after that the error went away.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-07T17:47:38+00:00

    I upgraded to 8.1 and I don't think I've tried to burn a cd or dvd since then, but now when I insert a disc, nothing happens. What should I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-05T12:05:09+00:00

    Seeing as this is a problem for quite a few people (including me), one would think that Microsoft would not just vanish from the discussion. 

    -Keith

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T21:57:04+00:00

    Thanks Michael.  Good to hear that the card reader is functioning properly (some old card readers have a tendency to fail which is another issue).

    This confirms the timing/race, with the sequence like this:

    1. Windows Driver Foundation service is stopped (e.g. shortly after reboot and there are no other WDF user mode drivers loaded for any device on the system).
    2. Plug-in card reader (or if it is already plugged in during reboot).  A WpdBusEnum SWD devnode is created for it.  The Plug-and-play subsystem detects the card reader and tries to load the driver (or if this is the first time, tries to install the driver).  In parallel, the WDF service will be triggered to start.
    3. If the devnode loads before the WDF service is started, we get Event ID 219 because the driver requires the service to be running.

    Setting the service to automatic start and/or starting the service manually before inserting the card reader will "fix" this because the race goes away.

    We'll take this as feedback and look into ways to address this. 

    Regards

    Lisa

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-27T15:20:43+00:00

    I have Windows Update set to install all updates automatically and according to link you gave me "PCs running Windows RT 8.1 always automatically download and install drivers, apps, and info for your devices." Nividia drivers were updated by Windows Update (10/26/13) no other device updates.

    I also went through each instance of the drives and asked to "Update Driver Software" and "Scan for Hardware Changes".

    They are Generic Microsoft Drives as they were under Windows 8 and as they still are on an identical Windows 7 machine.

    All drives report as  "This device is working properly" BUT the error messages are STILL appearing.

    Have run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooting which gives the message: "Hardware changes might not have been detected...Detected...Completed"

    N.B. I examine Event Logs on a regular basis there were no issues PRIOR to installing Windows 8.1.

    Since installing Windows 8.1 a number of issues are being reported NONE of which have been resolved.

    So far as workarounds I've had to leave the Homegroup so that the power settings will work and due to Audit Failures am no longer using Internet Explorer 11.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments