The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load

Anonymous
2013-10-26T20:07:29+00:00

We'll start with this Event FIRST:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP

Date:          10/26/13 1:03:18 PM

Event ID:      219

Task Category: (212)

Level:         Warning

Keywords:     

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      Michael-HP

Description:

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />

    <EventID>219</EventID>

    <Version>0</Version>

    <Level>3</Level>

    <Task>212</Task>

    <Opcode>0</Opcode>

    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-26T17:03:18.207832500Z" />

    <EventRecordID>42592</EventRecordID>

    <Correlation />

    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="208" />

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>Michael-HP</Computer>

    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data Name="DriverNameLength">124</Data>

    <Data Name="DriverName">SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}</Data>

    <Data Name="Status">3221226341</Data>

    <Data Name="FailureNameLength">14</Data>

    <Data Name="FailureName">\Driver\WudfRd</Data>

    <Data Name="Version">0</Data>

  </EventData>

</Event>

I'm guessing this is related to Event ID 11 (below) which shows up for 4 items DR1 through DR 4. .

Log Name:      System

Source:        disk

Date:          10/26/13 1:22:46 PM

Event ID:      11

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Michael-HP

Description:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

  <System>

    <Provider Name="disk" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-26T17:22:46.417018600Z" />

    <EventRecordID>42601</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>Michael-HP</Computer>

    <Security />

  </System>

  <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Harddisk2\DR2</Data>

    <Binary>0F00800001000000000000000B0004C00301000000000000000000001600000000000000000000000B29010000000000FFFFFFFF06000000580000050000000000000A122809080000000000140000000000000000000000803A110200E0FFFF0000000000000000E053B70100E0FFFF0000000000000000000000000000000035000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

  </EventData>

</Event>

These show up on Device Manager as:

Disk Drives: as Generic USB SD Reader, CF Reader, xD/SM Reader and MS REader

and under

Portable Devices as E:\ through H:\

Device Status shows as Device Working Properly

Before you ask: earlier today I ran

sfc /scannow

Dism/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth

full scan Windows Defender

full scan Malwarebytes

NO new hardware or software since Windows 8.1 upgrade

all Windows Updates

Any help would be appreciated as I slowly go through the MULTIPLE Event Logs caused by my recent UPGRADE to Windows 8.1


Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-27T10:10:37+00:00

    I got windows 8.1 three weeks ago.

    This error locks up my pc on boot. The start screen scrolls from side to side (in a stalling motion) and stays that way. I have a windows 8 compatible Motherboard ASRock Z77 Pro 3. After 3 weeks of this and that installing and reinstalling I've just about had it. Whats the problem can some one give a clear FIX.. It's not the card readers because I disconnected it from the MB. Tried installing on a normal drive instead of my SSD still getting the same problem. If it didn't stall I wouldn't care but it does and it's getting beyond a joke.. 

    What am I to do now

    I've tried everything but can't get it to work

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-18T10:42:32+00:00

    For what it is worth, I have two W8.1 systems and they both get this warning message.  Neither system has a card reader just plain old SSD's, Hard Drives and Blu Ray Burners.  I get the same results - change the service to Automatic (Trigger Start) and the warning goes away for a day or so and then comes back when W8.1 resets it to Manual (Trigger Start).  I have been able to find fixes for all usual W8.1 Event Errors on both machines but the "fix" for this one has eluded the W8.1 tech forums?

    This is the Warning Message I'm getting: 

    The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM{e2df6855-40d8-11e3-80da-806e6f6e6963}#0000000000100000.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T02:02:24+00:00

    Thank you for getting back to me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T21:11:18+00:00

    Lisa O

    On a separate note - Thank you for coming back to this thread.

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T20:56:51+00:00

    1 "Manual (Trigger Start)"

    2 Normally after reboot. Get a series of 4 Event ID 11 about 3 seconds after the Event ID 219

    3 "This service cannot be stopped" from "services.msc" (will go into msconfig, stop it there, reboot and come back here in a ciouple of minutes.)

    4 Yes - 4 Disk Drives & 4 Portable Devices ( E to H), no warnings, all "device is working properly", all scanned for "Update Driver Software"

    UPDATE:

    Reboot with Windows Driver Foundation disabled

    4 Drives E to H have yellow warnings

    No Event ID 11 Error

    4 Event ID 219 Warnings

    Put a memory card in Drive E and computer recognized it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments