It does not seem to cause any problems setting it to automatic but it does not remain set. I do not know why.
The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load
We'll start with this Event FIRST:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date: 10/26/13 1:03:18 PM
Event ID: 219
Task Category: (212)
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Michael-HP
Description:
The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />
<EventID>219</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>212</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-26T17:03:18.207832500Z" />
<EventRecordID>42592</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="208" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Michael-HP</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="DriverNameLength">124</Data>
<Data Name="DriverName">SWD\WPDBUSENUM\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_USB_SD_Reader&Rev_1.00#18E3312D81B&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}</Data>
<Data Name="Status">3221226341</Data>
<Data Name="FailureNameLength">14</Data>
<Data Name="FailureName">\Driver\WudfRd</Data>
<Data Name="Version">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
I'm guessing this is related to Event ID 11 (below) which shows up for 4 items DR1 through DR 4. .
Log Name: System
Source: disk
Date: 10/26/13 1:22:46 PM
Event ID: 11
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Michael-HP
Description:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="disk" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-26T17:22:46.417018600Z" />
<EventRecordID>42601</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Michael-HP</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\Harddisk2\DR2</Data>
<Binary>0F00800001000000000000000B0004C00301000000000000000000001600000000000000000000000B29010000000000FFFFFFFF06000000580000050000000000000A122809080000000000140000000000000000000000803A110200E0FFFF0000000000000000E053B70100E0FFFF0000000000000000000000000000000035000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
These show up on Device Manager as:
Disk Drives: as Generic USB SD Reader, CF Reader, xD/SM Reader and MS REader
and under
Portable Devices as E:\ through H:\
Device Status shows as Device Working Properly
Before you ask: earlier today I ran
sfc /scannow
Dism/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth
full scan Windows Defender
full scan Malwarebytes
NO new hardware or software since Windows 8.1 upgrade
all Windows Updates
Any help would be appreciated as I slowly go through the MULTIPLE Event Logs caused by my recent UPGRADE to Windows 8.1
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2016-11-09T17:48:33+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-11-09T17:14:40+00:00 I having this issue on a Win 10 machine.
The "Windows Driver Foundation ... " is set to "Manual (trigger start)"
Could it cause any harm to set it to automatic?
-
Anonymous
2016-01-23T20:51:44+00:00 I had no problems with windows 10 until the last update, since then I can't run incredimail and my Dell crashes about 10 minutes after starting.
-
Anonymous
2016-01-23T20:49:14+00:00 Thanks for your intuitive reply. I have been fighting with this problem and am about ready to throw my Dell Experiment in the trash. The only thing left to do is an exorcism, will let you know if it works.