Did you do this at the cmd prompt, I haven't tried this yet I did try and copy to command prompt but was told its not a operable command
Yes please I did try at CMD prompt and got a message that it is not a recognized command.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Help , I am trying to find out why my Indexing is not running at all. I tried rebuilding the index which doesn't show anything at all. I have never
encountered this problem. I tried the Windows troubleshooter and its response is comic all (Indexing is not working). I have a hard time searching
for anything. I did a check disc on my C drive but its working fine. Any Ideas I would truly appreciate it. Bob G._2014
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Did you do this at the cmd prompt, I haven't tried this yet I did try and copy to command prompt but was told its not a operable command
Yes please I did try at CMD prompt and got a message that it is not a recognized command.
Did you do this at the cmd prompt, I haven't tried this yet I did try and copy to command prompt but was told its not a operable command
I do not have any registry keys in the mentioned regedit section
***In the Registry; sub values in the entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE|Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigs pointed to SkyDrive. (I suggest that you verify this on your systems prior to proceeding)***
Windows Search only has Name: DEFAULT Type: REG_SZ Data: 0
Nothing else is in there
I found an answer that completely resolved these issues for me. And it made complete sense once I discovered it. I do not use SkyDrive - But in my Windows 8.1 installation, I had noticed that opening the file explorer defaulted to SkyDrive.
In the Registry; sub values in the entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE|Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigs pointed to SkyDrive. (I suggest that you verify this on your systems prior to proceeding)
I renamed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE|Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigs so that if needed I could restore it. Then I restarted my PC.
Search issues with both file explorer and Outlook search issues were fully resolved after reboot.
I have seen several problems introduced by Microsoft implementation of SkyDrive. My next problem to work is to completely remove SkyDrive with "breaking" things. Have not found a way yet.
Barry Cole,
Firstly thank you... I think you may have cracked it though I've not fully got this to work, but I am not techy at all, just a long-term user.
I have never dared change the Registry. For those of you (home users/freelancers) like me with no outside technological help - Search for REGEDIT and then you will find a list of files including the one Barry mentioned above. I exported to my Desktop as a way of safely saving it if anything went wrong. Then I dug down and eventually found one line that did indeed state SkyDrive. I clicked on edit and changed the name to C:/My PC. And then re-started. (I did also change the name of it as you suggested Barry, but didn't really understand why and can't change it back again).
This seems to have solved Windows Explorer Search, but not yet Outlook Search, perhaps because Outlook is not saved in My PC but somewhere else?? Can't find out...
I looked into getting rid of Sky Drive as I would like to also. I found this but haven't dared try to work my way through it yet:
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-rid-of-skydrive-in-windows-8-1-explorer-1447031829
Thanks again for help so far,
Wink
I found an answer that completely resolved these issues for me. And it made complete sense once I discovered it. I do not use SkyDrive - But in my Windows 8.1 installation, I had noticed that opening the file explorer defaulted to SkyDrive.
In the Registry; sub values in the entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE|Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigs pointed to SkyDrive. (I suggest that you verify this on your systems prior to proceeding)
I renamed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE|Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigs so that if needed I could restore it. Then I restarted my PC.
Search issues with both file explorer and Outlook search issues were fully resolved after reboot.
I have seen several problems introduced by Microsoft implementation of SkyDrive. My next problem to work is to completely remove SkyDrive with "breaking" things. Have not found a way yet.