Indexing not running in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-26T15:38:03+00:00

Help ,  I am trying to find out why my Indexing is not running at all. I tried rebuilding the index which doesn't show anything at all. I have never

encountered this problem. I tried the Windows troubleshooter and its response is comic all (Indexing is not working). I have a hard time searching

for anything. I did a check disc on my C drive but its working fine. Any Ideas I would truly appreciate it.                   Bob G._2014

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-10T05:25:05+00:00

    I just want to add to the voices here and say that I'm having all the same problems since agreeing to auto-install 8.1 - most especially cannot use Search on Explorer nor can I use search on MS Outlook 2010.

    As I'm really, really busy at present completing the writing and self-publishing of a book that a lot of people are waiting for, I'm using other ways to find things (using my iPad for contacts, Mailstore for emails and my personal memory - the most dangerous

    • for explorer).

    Whenever I tried to fix it I was just going round and around in circles getting absolutely nowhere as people have experienced above. I am simply just keeping an eye on this post to see when a real solution comes up.

    So thanks to all for pursuing this.

    Where is someone from MS to sort this out?

    And/or when is there going to be a fix in MS Updates?

    I am suffering exactly like you and have spent 2 sessions with Microsoft Windows team each time more than one hour and still they could offer no solutions. One of the Microsoft engineer had asked me to uninstall and re-install the MS Office 2010 which did not work. The other person went through the  transcripts of previous session for over 40 minutes and then we got disconnected.

    I am slightly better position than you by doing as follows: Start Outlook as an administrator mode and it says search is not available. However, if you search you do get the emails reasonably fast. Moreover windows explorer gives the file search but a bit slow as indexing is not there at all.

    Yesterday I got a message as follows:

    I restarted Windows Search service as below:

    Restart-Service WSearch -Force

    I tried it but without any success.

    Like you I sincerely hope that Microsoft or community will soon find a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-09T14:07:35+00:00

    I just want to add to the voices here and say that I'm having all the same problems since agreeing to auto-install 8.1 - most especially cannot use Search on Explorer nor can I use search on MS Outlook 2010.

    As I'm really, really busy at present completing the writing and self-publishing of a book that a lot of people are waiting for, I'm using other ways to find things (using my iPad for contacts, Mailstore for emails and my personal memory - the most dangerous

    • for explorer).

    Whenever I tried to fix it I was just going round and around in circles getting absolutely nowhere as people have experienced above. I am simply just keeping an eye on this post to see when a real solution comes up.

    So thanks to all for pursuing this.

    Where is someone from MS to sort this out?

    And/or when is there going to be a fix in MS Updates?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-09T13:50:48+00:00

    Karthick, Thanks for the suggestion. Wish it had worked for me, but it did not. The restart was supposed attempt to stop the service and it it was not running start it. It is stopping before that point.

    Restart-Service : Service 'Windows Search (WSearch)' cannot be stopped due to the following error: Cannot open WSearch service on computer '

    At line:1 char:1

    • Restart-Service WSearch -force

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-09T12:15:11+00:00

    I was facing similar issues in my Windows 8.1. Even though I clicked Rebuild in Indexing Options dialog, it didn't start indexing process. I did for several times, but went in vein.

    I restarted Windows Search service as below:

    Restart-Service WSearch -Force

    After that, Indexing Options starts working as expected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T07:10:23+00:00

    When I try to change I get a message Indexing is not running. Try troubleshooting it says search not running not fixed. Hence there is no solution so far

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments