Indexing not running in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-26T15:38:03+00:00

Help ,  I am trying to find out why my Indexing is not running at all. I tried rebuilding the index which doesn't show anything at all. I have never

encountered this problem. I tried the Windows troubleshooter and its response is comic all (Indexing is not working). I have a hard time searching

for anything. I did a check disc on my C drive but its working fine. Any Ideas I would truly appreciate it.                   Bob G._2014

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-22T09:35:00+00:00

    Hi,

    Apologize for the delay in reply.

    Thank you for sharing the information. Your efforts to resolve this issue is very much appreciated.

    Feel free to post your query here on Windows Forums, we would be happy to assist you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-16T12:24:48+00:00

    Thank you very much for your comment. I renamed the registry file recommended by you and my Windows search as well as outlook search are both working fine now.

    Hope all other users facing this issue will get benefited by the solution that I reproduce below:

    I renamed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE|Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigs so that if needed I could restore it. Then I restarted my PC.

    I just add that after doing this one needs to go to "task manager" services and to Wsearch and set it to automatic delayed and manually start it. It shows running and all works fine thereafter. The PC takes some time to re-index depending on the data one has .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-15T17:21:06+00:00

    I renamed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE|Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigs so that if needed I could restore it. Then I restarted my PC.

    I had the same issues described by others: indexing was not working, I could not start the service, Windows Resource Protect found corrupt files but could not fix them, etc. I tried Barry's solution of renaming a Registry key and viola! after I rebooted indexing was working again in both Windows and Outlook. The indices had to be rebuilt but now everything is back to normal.

    By the way, in my case the Registry key did not point to SkyDrive - it simply had no value. However, renaming the key solved all of my problems. Thanks, Barry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-11T09:12:35+00:00

    Restart-Service WSearch -Force

    I tried it but without any success. Please confirm that I need to type the above command by going to command prompt, under C:|\windows\system32 directory, which is what I did. I get a response "restart-service is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" What mistake am I making?

     I sincerely hope that Microsoft or community will soon find a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-11T06:40:10+00:00

    Many thanks for your reply. I tried to see the registry entry as per your suggestion. At HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE|Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigs  Iget ab (Default)    Type : REG_SZ    Data (value not set).

    Please help what needs to be done next.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments