Windows 8 Feedback

Anonymous
2013-05-23T07:31:45+00:00

I wanted to give some feedback on my experience with Windows 8 in general:

Background on my relationship with Windows: I have been using Windows since 3.1. I have been Microsoft's first/ best customer- basically I'm the one lined up the first day a new OS comes out ready to purchase it. It did it with Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP and Windows 7. Windows XP was the best thing Microsoft offered very honestly. Intuitive and quick.

I installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview and it was such a complete fail that I had to uninstall it. I should have given Microsoft feedback then but I just didn't. I thought surely you guys would fix glaring issues. You did not. I bought Windows 8 because of the extremely cheap upgrade price- otherwise I would not have done it (I also thought that some things would be fixed but nope- they were not). I am writing this now because I know 8.1 is coming  out and I want to make sure you are looking at all the things that need to be fixed. I told many people after the Consumer Preview came out that 8 would be a complete train wreck/ fail and I see it is from all the reviews and crashing PC sales. When you have Jay Leno on the Tonight Show making fun of it- it is not good. The PC industry relies on Microsoft as well to get it right- you guys have let them down. I just don't see how you got it so wrong guys. You have done a great job for a very long time. Someone needs to be fired at Microsoft for letting the current version out. I'm very serious about that. You don't see this kind of fail at Apple. Someone is just not paying attention and you guys need to figure out what needs to be fixed to make sure it does not happen again. Didn't you do testing with business users and consumers? The current iteration says you did not.

Issues needing to be fixed:

  1. Add the Start button back and don't just have it link to the "Start" page. You need to have it in the same form as previous versions where there is a program list and access to all the different things that users used to have access to.
  2. Boot to Desktop. I have a desktop and do not want to use the "Start" page. I spend 99% of my time in Desktop mode. Or change the Start page so I WANT to use it. In it's current form I hate it. If you guys had the Start screen experience right I in theory wouldn't have to use my Desktop.
  3. Shut down. This is the biggest fail I have ever seen in the history of history. Seriously guys- I had to Google to find out how to turn off my PC. Complete Fail. You can either add this to the Start menu like before or add something to the corner of the desktop. Just do something. You should never have this hidden under 4 steps. The current way is so unintuitive and I'm sure it is a very serious "turn off" to users. Fix it.
  4. The Charm bar on the side of my PC is hard to access. I have a Dell touchscreen for my desktop and I have to continually swipe to try to get it to come up. Fail. I always end up using my mouse to access this. And I HATE having to position my cursor just right to access it. So completely a fail. I'd prefer the charm feature to just die to be very honest and be replaced by the start button where it used to be. There is no value add to having it. I need to be able to quickly and intuitively access my information. The charm bar is neither of these. You shouldn't have to think about where to go to in the charm area for something.
  5. Bring back the old way to Search in the Start menu. The current way is the ultimate in frustration. Some of the ways you have to do a search for certain things that are now hidden in Windows 8 that were not hidden in Windows 7 is crazy. I've even had a Microsoft support person say this. You guys have made something so easy much more difficult and unintuitive. Having to actually type in a search term to find certain parts of Windows: FAIL! There should be a case study written about that on what not to do in an OS. Mind boggling to the max. I don't even know what to say.
  6. Left side bar in the Start Page view to bring up program list. I'm speechless on this one. It is so ridiculous the way it is now I don't even know where to begin. Mind boggling complete full FAIL. Having to scroll to the corner in a very small space (itself very unintuitive)- the go over a little and then go down? And if you mess up with how you move your cursor you have to start over because everything collapses. And you can't access it by touch on a desktop- you have to use your mouse cursor because the activation area is so far in the corner. Really? LOL guys. Who designed this craziness? This is not intuitive! The pics are so small I sometimes can't even see what I need to choose. I just don't know what to say. You went from having clear program icons at the bottom of the screen to quickly and easily go from program to program to this. No. I don't know how you need to change this but it needs to change. There needs to be a static element and there needs to be clear icons for the program choices. I am telling you Microsoft- if this is not changed you will lose your customers. No one wants to deal with the current way of doing this. It is a complete FAIL.

More on this: You have to navigate this ridiculous setup to try and close things running in the background. So unintuitive. And frustrating to the max. I have to find my app then right click and click close? LOL. No. Go to the corner. X out. Done. This x out feature has to be brought back and integrated into the apps. It HAS to be. This is what makes Windows (the old Windows) so great. And you guys killed it with 8! :( I feel like I'm trapped when I open an app- and therefore I use the apps MUCH less. I'm in the Internet Explorer App. I need Excel. I have to: click on the bottom left corner to bring up the start menu- click desktop and find Excel. I could do it through the Start menu but it is so busy that it's hard to find things quickly like I can on my desktop. Now I need to go back to IE. Top corner- over- down- squint to find IE. click. Ugg! What did ya'll do? No! So frustrating - so not Microsoft. You have to design the interface so everything flows. You should not have to even think. I need to be able to click back and forth quickly between apps. Or use touch. Windows 8 is supposed to be about touch and the current setup is so crazy horrible I can't use it like it has the potential to be used. Please put some thought into how to better do this. You guys could really make this great if you wanted to and even make it better than Apple. There needs to be some serious thinking being done. Keywords: Quick. Intuitive. You do this for your customers and you have them as loyal customers like you did with me and every other version of Windows.

  1. Touch- somehow things in your programs need to be more touch friendly. I don't want to have to touch the edges of my screen. Could you design something where a quick double touch anywhere on the screen brings up an open program list to toggle between programs? I just feel totally out of control with Windows 8. Put the user back in control. Larger touch friendly buttons? Everything is designed for a mouse clicker. Change this.
  2. IE app- I really hate this app.
  3. App stability: Horrible. This needs to improve.
  4. The current way on the app screen to have to right click (somewhere in the "grey" area? Really?) to bring up a bar at the bottom then click on something again to control it is so unintuitive. This is one of the worst features of Windows 8. I think whoever designed this particular thing should not have a job at Microsoft. I don't know how to improve this but it needs to be improved. You have to think here. FAIL. It is your job to come up with an intuitive interface so the customer can quickly get to things and feel confident and in control. That is why Microsoft has been successful in the past. You have previously done a great job for your customers. I just feel lost- even after using the system for awhile. Make things easier. You guys really need to put a lot of thought into this interface. Make it simple! The process to add a program as an app to the start screen is ridiculous. If you have to add a couple floating buttons to the Start screen- do it. Maybe "add an app to the start screen". This would make the user feel in control.

Good things:

System stability.

Apps: I think Microsoft has a win with the app approach. It just needs to be tweaked so that I want to use it. Allow me to group types of apps into folders of some sort maybe. I don't want to have to think when I go to access stuff. Right now I have to scan a wall of apps. It's too much. And again- allow me to x out of an app. Allow me to quickly switch between apps in an easier way.

Bottom line: Make it more intuitive. Make the user feel like they are IN CONTROL. Make me want to LOVE to use it- not research how to use every element. There is clear feedback users hate to use Windows 8. You do this and you have a WIN. This is what Microsoft is guys- ya'll can do it. I love Microsoft because of your open nature unlike Apple. Make me WANT to buy your product. Take out all these unintuitive and frustrating roadblocks you've put into Windows 8. You guys have the chance to be the best with the touch interface. DO IT! And advertise how you have changed. Damage has been done but you can turn it around. This is the only OS you have come out with that I've told friends and family NOT to buy in it's current iteration. Give me reasons to change my mind and recommend it.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-24T19:09:21+00:00

    Since I subscribed to this thread I have gotten many, many similar responses like yours.  Our school district needed new computers for this year.  We did a poll of students and others.  The overwhelming majority voted to go with the Apple Mac PC & iPad vs the Windows Surface & HP All-In-One.  I test drove the Windows phone and found that to be equally awkward.  I have 2 Windows 7 Pcs, one desktop and one HP laptop and have no real issues with them.  Like you, I feel that Windows 8 fails on so many levels.  Thanks for your response.  Hopefully, Microsoft will wise up!

           Rob S.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-24T18:55:22+00:00

    I agree completely. Windows 8 is a tragedy. If Microsoft were selling me rubbish software for a massive Smartphone, then they should have sold me a big useless smartphone to go with it. This software is totally unsuitable for the PC. I have uttered more profanities since I got my latest PC. What a total shambles. I sincerely hope that Microsoft are working on a massive fix for this rubbish. If I can find a good alternative operating system, I'll grab it and my relationship with Microsoft will be at an end.  I started my computing career with DOS and have grown up with the PC, but this is the worst I've seen. Sales of Smartphones are obviously far more important to Microsoft than the sale of PC's. Windows 8 is a complete computing disaster. If I fu***d up like this in my job, I'd go to jail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-19T21:27:12+00:00

    Microsoft did a great job but I want to describe some issues in front of Microsoft that as a Windows users from many years I've noticed that Microsoft should have a look on some little things they ignored in all there versions of Microsoft.

    --- 1st thing is that Microsoft should provide a software or any other built in functionality in their Newer version of windows that users should be able to protect their folders by setting a password on them so personal or private data of the users will be protected from anonymous users. As here in Pakistan and every where one PC has many users like friends, family members and many others so there should be some sort of technology that should provide security to folders in D:, E: or any other drive so it cannot be accessed by any other user account or the same user account..

    ---2nd thing is that Microsoft should provide a drop box or something like this and it should be placed on the task bar or any other place where it should stay on top of all other open windows so when we have to send a lot of data from different folders to a remove able disk or any USB device then it we just drag the data to the drop box and navigate between folders to select data and drag the data from other folders to the drop box, After we finished to select all the data from different folders then we should send all the items that we have in the drop box to any remove able device or any USB drive at the same time. This is important because when we send items from different folders one after another the PC becomes very slow and it starts to hang and we have to restart the explorer again and all the data that is already carried to the USB is lost.

    ---3rd thing that I've noticed is that Microsoft should provide security to the apps that are downloaded from the Windows Store. As we all know that every game developer works very hard to develop a game and upload it to the Store. But what is the benefit to the developer when it is hacked by every one not only by a computer expert using cheat engines and other tools like this. So I think Microsoft should also take care of their developers that they upload their games to the Windows Store so nobody could easily hack any game.

    Thanks a lot....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-10-17T06:21:01+00:00

    OCTOBER 16, 2014

    TO COMMUNITY HERE:  I UPGRADED TO WINDOWS 8 AND COMPLETELY LOST OFFICE 2013 THAT I MAINLY WANTED FOR THE Word Program. I BOUGHT IT AT THE LOCAL OFFICE DEPOT HERE IN SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA. I BOUGHT IT ALREADY. ONLY GOT PRODUCT NUMBER, NO DISK. A SQUARE PIECE OF CARDBOARD.

    I AM ON SSI & AM DISABLED. I BOUGHT OFFICE 2013 FOR AROUND $140. NOW SINCE THE UPGRADE I HAVE LOST MY Word PROGRAM. I WENT INTO A CHAT WITH A MS TEDH SHE SUGGESTED I JUST BUY ANOTHER ONE LIKE I HAVE MONEY TO THROW AWAY. I NEED HELP. I AM SAD THE WAY THE MS TECH JUST PLAYED ME OFF. I MIGHT DO A VIDEO ABOUT THIS ORDEALSINCERELY, Peter S. López @Peta_de_Aztlan

    OUTLOOK Email humane_****@hotmail.com**

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments